Old 27-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Holly

Default Deer despair

Has anyone proven solutions to prevent deer eating my plants other than fencing?
Old 28-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Doug Kanter

"Holly" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone proven solutions to prevent deer eating my plants other than

fencing?

A friend of mine swears by Irish Spring bar soap, grated like parmesan
cheese and hung around the garden in cloth bags, or knee-hi stockings. Since
the deer were bold enough to munch the flowers off my mums a few weeks back,
I'll be hanging the soap around the entire property line. If it gets them to
stand still long enough, I plan on beating them to death with a baseball
bat. :-)

Old 28-11-2004, 02:09 AM
Zemedelec

Has anyone proven solutions to prevent deer eating my plants other than
fencing?
BRBR

A steady eye and a taste for venison?
zemedelec
Old 28-11-2004, 02:37 AM
Doug Kanter

"Zemedelec" wrote in message
Has anyone proven solutions to prevent deer eating my plants other

than
fencing?
BRBR

A steady eye and a taste for venison?
zemedelec

Well....we have 6 months of winter here (Rochester NY), although many
residents drink themselves into oblivion until they imagine it's only 2
months of winter. So, when it finally warms up, I take my vegetable garden
VERY seriously. Nobody, not even Bambi, messes with my vegetable garden. :-)
Besides, I finally have a source of fresh juniper berries growing on my
property. Do you know how well juniper goes with venison?

Old 28-11-2004, 04:16 AM
zxcvbob

Holly wrote:
Has anyone proven solutions to prevent deer eating my plants other than fencing?

You need an attack squirrel:

http://tinyurl.com/5lhdu (zipped video link)

Best regards,
Bob
Old 28-11-2004, 05:35 AM
Romy Beeck

Well....we have 6 months of winter here (Rochester NY), although many
residents drink themselves into oblivion until they imagine it's only 2
months of winter. So, when it finally warms up, I take my vegetable garden
VERY seriously. Nobody, not even Bambi, messes with my vegetable garden.
:-)
Besides, I finally have a source of fresh juniper berries growing on my
property. Do you know how well juniper goes with venison?

My friend put a radar sprinkling system in it got rid of all the deer.Most
hardware stores sell them...Hope i could help you

Old 28-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Ann

zxcvbob expounded:

You need an attack squirrel:

http://tinyurl.com/5lhdu (zipped video link)

Yowsa! That's one territorial squirrel! G
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 28-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Doug Kanter

"Romy Beeck" wrote in message

Well....we have 6 months of winter here (Rochester NY), although many
residents drink themselves into oblivion until they imagine it's only 2
months of winter. So, when it finally warms up, I take my vegetable

garden
VERY seriously. Nobody, not even Bambi, messes with my vegetable garden.
:-)
Besides, I finally have a source of fresh juniper berries growing on my
property. Do you know how well juniper goes with venison?

My friend put a radar sprinkling system in it got rid of all the

deer.Most
hardware stores sell them...Hope i could help you

Actually, I may put one of those near the corner of my property where some
of the neighborhood slobs let their dogs crap. When it's 34 degrees, I
suspect a nice cold shower will be very educational.

Old 28-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Gary

"Romy Beeck" wrote in message ...

My friend put a radar sprinkling system in it got rid of all the deer.Most
hardware stores sell them...

Might work in areas that don't freeze at night. Probably the baseball
bat or the trusty old thirty-ought-six offer more permanent solutions.

Old 29-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Doug Kanter

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
"Romy Beeck" wrote in message

My friend put a radar sprinkling system in it got rid of all the

deer.Most
hardware stores sell them...

Might work in areas that don't freeze at night. Probably the baseball
bat or the trusty old thirty-ought-six offer more permanent solutions.

The .30 cal sounds great, but some of us live in what's known as
"neighborhoods". :-) The cops get annoyed if we want to shoot things outside
the house. Now, this raises a question. Since an intruder INSIDE the house
may be legally dispatched, how does one get a deer to come in the house?
What's their version of Fritos?

Old 29-11-2004, 02:05 AM
B & J

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
"Romy Beeck" wrote in message

The .30 cal sounds great, but some of us live in what's known as
"neighborhoods". :-) The cops get annoyed if we want to shoot things
outside
the house. Now, this raises a question. Since an intruder INSIDE the house
may be legally dispatched, how does one get a deer to come in the house?
What's their version of Fritos?

Be careful for what you wish. You really don't want a deer in your house.
Neighbors had a relatively small buck jump through a plate glass window into
their living room. Before it was subdued and ousted by the local volunteer
fire department, it wrecked the entire room. The people didn't even coax it
into the area with shelled corn, which is a common enticement that local
idiots feed so they can view the "beasts" close up.

John

Old 29-11-2004, 02:34 AM
madgardener

how did you manage to open it? I can't seem to unzip it......
maddie
"Ann" wrote in message
zxcvbob expounded:

You need an attack squirrel:

http://tinyurl.com/5lhdu (zipped video link)

Yowsa! That's one territorial squirrel! G
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

[IMG] code is On

Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM
Deer damage especially severe JohnF North Carolina 1 30-03-2003 02:08 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM
AD: Versatile product for tightening fences, deer stand guide wires, grape vine trellis', etc - Jak C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 06-02-2003 01:35 AM
geranium macrorrhizum or pulmonaria in my deer-ridden, clay-filled backyard? Maggie Gardening 0 04-02-2003 03:37 PM