Old 10-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Joe

Default Do Any Plants Live after winter?

You see, I am not very observant. I never notice if anything in my garden
makes it past winter.

Can anyone help me?

Old 10-01-2005, 05:07 PM
madgardener

"Joe" wrote in message
You see, I am not very observant. I never notice if anything in my garden
makes it past winter.

Can anyone help me?

You must have no trees, no shrubs and only plant annuals then. Try
perennials. And apparently you have no grass to mow either..........There
is no way that you are that oblivious. You're trolling. Try another
newsgroup.
"Plonk!"
madgardener

Old 11-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Salty Thumb

"madgardener" wrote in :

"Joe" wrote in message
You see, I am not very observant. I never notice if anything in my
garden makes it past winter.

Can anyone help me?

You must have no trees, no shrubs and only plant annuals then. Try
perennials. And apparently you have no grass to mow
either..........There is no way that you are that oblivious. You're
trolling. Try another newsgroup.
"Plonk!"
madgardener

Actually there is a theory by, not sure I have names right, D. Bess Lyare
and Ponti Mython that says all plants die during the winter and only come
back because they are repropagated from seeds carried by migratory
swallows.

Swallows are too small to carry large seeds or seed vessels, such as a
coconut, and this is why coconuts do not usually grow in cold places.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Iris Cohen

I never notice if anything in my garden
makes it past winter.
Can anyone help me?

If you are not trolling, I suggest this spring you go out & look at your garden
carefully. Then come back & ask us.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Old 11-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Stephen Henning

"Joe" wrote:

You see, I am not very observant. I never notice if anything in my garden
makes it past winter.

Our garden is beautiful here in Zone 6. We have:

winterberry holly with red berries - ilex verticillata

witch hazel with flowers - hamamelis virginiana

lenten rose is preparing to bloom - helleborus varieties

rhododendrons with fall foilage - especially PJM

red twig and yellow twig dogwoods add color to the garden

spring bulbs preparing to burst into bloom

trees preparing to burst into bloom

evergreen holly keeps their berries all winter.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 11-01-2005, 05:55 PM
madgardener

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
Our garden is beautiful here in Zone 6. We have:

winterberry holly with red berries - ilex verticillata

ahhhhh I can see the deep red berries against the green pointy leaves very
well! g

witch hazel with flowers - hamamelis virginiana

I have the variety "Diane" which has red flowers....now I have to go back
outside and see if she has unfurled her buds today.........

lenten rose is preparing to bloom - helleborus varieties

And since writing my ramble, I need to see if buds are forming on the clumps
of Helleborus I have tucked here and there..............

rhododendrons with fall foilage - especially PJM

despite that rhodies love it here enough to be a native shrub up in the
mountains across from me, I can't get any to live for me. I'm attempting to
get "Flame" azalea to survive for me which is a native here, and if that
works, I'll hunt for a more cast iron rhod to put into my dry woods. Winter
bones are essential!

red twig and yellow twig dogwoods add color to the garden

You have stirred my memory that the yellow twig that survived is down in the
first woods room of my chaos, you have inspired me to wander! Thank you
Steve!

spring bulbs preparing to burst into bloom

I have so many noses up all over and in every pot I'm actually stressing
that frigid temperatures will nip their shows of flowers now. We're due for
a cold snap now behind this false spring. Today's highs are predicted to be
upper 60's. I don't believe it. It's overcast and unless the sun comes out
to shine all day, I think it'll stay to the upper 50's and low 60's like it
is now. (58o and holding a degree or two)

trees preparing to burst into bloom

I tend to agree with you on that too...my Cornelia cherry is loaded with
buds that give me the first blossoms, and it's straining to begin. I hope it
holds back. Last year I had just a few "cherries" on the small tree and woul
d love to see it covered in late summer with them. Only if we have no
freezes will I experience this.

evergreen holly keeps their berries all winter.

Since my neighbor who shares the driveway has a massive holly with berries
on it, I enjoy his and dig up their daughters out of my woods. I'll leave
one or two to keep of the larger ones, but they can be a weed sometimes.

-- thanks for inspiring me to go back and check the doings in the raised

beds.
madgardener

Old 12-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Marley1372

Is that a European swallow or an African swallow?

It would have to be european, since african swallows are non-migratory. A
better question would be what the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow is.

Toad
Old 12-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Salty Thumb

"madgardener" wrote in :

good theory Salty thumb!

Thanks. I can't really take credit though. I heard it on business trip in
Africa. I trying to find out if it would be profitable to import elephant
dung for use as a soil amendment. The guy that told me the theory also
told me that elephant dung was okay, but bull shit is much easier to spread
around. ;-)

Old 12-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Salty Thumb

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
m:

Is that a European swallow or an African swallow?

When I first heard the theory a long time ago, I asked the same
question on rec.birds. Most of them agreed that African swallows
could possibly carry a coconut, but do not migrate. Then they
started arguing about technical details like what the air speed
velocity of a swallow carrying a coconut would need to be and I
stopped paying attention, although there was one interesting (East)
Indian guy who would repeat substantially the same message in
several different postings. Apparently this a common disease spread
by buying stuff like Adirondack chairs over the Internet. Anyway,
he claimed that if he could figure out a way to get swallows or
teams of swallows to migrate and carry coconuts, he would start a
coconut and neem products export business. I wonder what ever
happened to him.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Cereus-validus...

Didn't the skipper warn you about the deleterious effects of drinking sea
water, Gilligan?

The professor has been too busy lately in a threesome with Ginger and Mary
Ann to be your big brother.

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
m:

Old 12-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Joe

"Joe" wrote in message
You see, I am not very observant. I never notice if anything in my garden
makes it past winter.

Can anyone help me?

Ok, it was all just silly trolling. Sorry. Won't do it again. I just
can't believe anyone bothered responding.

Old 13-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Salty Thumb

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
m:

The professor has been too busy lately in a threesome with Ginger and
Mary Ann to be your big brother.

oh you're just jealous because of time he showed me how to make a coconut
radio and the time he knocked you over the head with one.