Old 15-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Darren Garrison

Default Flood tolerant shrubs/bushes

I have an area of my property that lies low enough that when there is a heavy rainfall (happens
maybe 2 or 3 times a year) it floods to 2-4 inches deep and can take a couple-three days to drain
away. I'm wanting to plant shrubs/bushes in this area. Last year I planted some roses, butterfly
bushes, and a purple smoke tree. The roses and butterfly bushes survived all flooding events, but
the purple smoke tree died with the very first one.

What are some shrubs/bushes that are tolerant to short periods of flooding? Zone 7, full sun, red
clay soil.

Old 15-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Stephen Henning

Darren Garrison wrote:

What are some shrubs/bushes that are tolerant to short periods of flooding?
Zone 7, full sun, red clay soil.

Acer rubrum, (Red Maple, Swamp Maple) - Zone 3b-9. 40-60'H x 35-40'W
rounded native tree. Medium-fast growing. Scarlet, sometimes yellow leaf
fall color. Full sun-part shade, prefers slightly acid, moist
conditions, but is very tolerant of soils.

Betula nigra 'Cully' (Heritage Birch) - Well-suited for planting along
steam banks where it is native and in other areas which are inundated
for weeks. Tolerates low soil oxygen, flooding, and clay soil but needs
moist conditions. Height 25-50 Spread 25-35 Zone 3B - 9A

Crataegus crus-galli 'Inermis' (Hawthorn, Thornless Cockspur) - This
small adaptable tree has the excellent deep green, leathery,
glossy foliage of Crataegus crus-galli without the dangerous thorns.
Small white spring flowers in 2" clusters followed by small, bright red
fruits. Fall foliage is orange to rusty orange. Drought tolerant but
prefers moist conditions. Rounded, spreading habit. Slow to moderate
grower. Height 20 ft., spread 20 ft., sun.

Salix gracilistyla, (Rosegold Pussy Willow) - Zone 5-8. 6-10 H x 6-10' W
shrub. Fast growing. Attractive bluish-green foliage. Grown for it's 2"
long catkins and picturesque growth habit. Relatively disease resistant.
Cultu Full sun. Prefers moist soils, pH adaptable, but does not like
shallow, chalky soils. Withstands moist conditions.

Salix matsudana 'Snake', (Contorted Hankow Willow) - Zone 5(4)-7, grows
at Univ. of ME at Orono. (-36F). 20-30' H x 15-20' W contorted stemmed
tree. Fast growing. The gray-brown branches are distinctly gnarled and
contorted, (more-so than Tortuosa). Cultu Full sun. Prefers moist
soils, pH adaptable, but does not like shallow, chalky soils. Withstands
moist conditions. Canker resistant

Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa', (Corkscrew Willow) - Zone 4-7. 30-40' H x
20-25' W contorted tree. Fast growing. Twisted greenish branches and
stems support small half-twisted foliage on a low-branched tree creating
an oriental flair. Cultu Full sun. Prefers moist soils, pH adaptable,
but does not like shallow, chalky soils. Withstands moist conditions.

Salix nigra, (Basin), (A Black Willow Selection) - Zone 3-7. 6'H X 6'W
shrub. Fast growing. This willow was selected in the White Mountains of
New Hampshire for its dwarf, compact growth habit. Cultu Full
sun-part shade, prefers moist soils. Wetland application.

Salix purpurea 'Nana', (Arctic Blue Willow) - Zone 3-7. 4' H x 4' W
rounded compact shrub. Fast growing. Attractive, narrow blue-green
leaves with purple stems. Good bank stabilizer. Cultu Full-sun, light
shade. Tolerates wet soils and inundation.

Salix repens 'Nitida' (Dwarf Silver-Leaved Willow) - Zone 5-7.
Groundcover. Fast growing. Attractive, silvery foliage makes an
effective groundcover. Cultu Full sun-light shade. Moist, well
drained soil, can tolerate wet soils.

Salix sachalinensis 'Sekka', (Japanese Fantail Willow) - Zone 4-7.
10-15'H, a wide spreading shrub. When exposed to the sun, stems are
reddish purple. Stems are twisted, flat fantail branches. Used in the
floral industry for flower arrangements. Cultu Full sun, prefers
moist soils, pH adaptable.

Salix x 'Hakuro', (Hakuro Willow) - Zone 5-7. 10-15'H x 10-15'W. Fast
growing. Foliage is brilliant chartreuse in spring, contrasting well
with brownish-red stems. A Japanese selection. Cultu Light shade,
moist well-drained soils.

Salix x cottetti, (Bankers Willow) - Zone 4-7. 6' H suckering shrub.
Fast growing. Commonly used in wetland mitigation and bank stablization.
A National Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) introduction.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 15-01-2005, 10:53 PM
David J Bockman

In addition to Steven's excellent suggestions, I would add Ilex
verticillata, Sambucus canadensis, Myrica cerifera, Rhus typhina.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Old 15-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Darren Garrison

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:07:19 -0500, in rec.gardens Stephen Henning wrote:

Darren Garrison wrote:

What are some shrubs/bushes that are tolerant to short periods of flooding?
Zone 7, full sun, red clay soil.

Acer rubrum, (Red Maple, Swamp Maple) - Zone 3b-9. 40-60'H x 35-40'W
rounded native tree. Medium-fast growing. Scarlet, sometimes yellow leaf
fall color. Full sun-part shade, prefers slightly acid, moist
conditions, but is very tolerant of soils.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, but I need to add that these plantings would be not far from
power lines, so it needs to be plants that top out at (or can be kept trimmed to) around 10ish feet
high.

Old 22-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Darren Garrison

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:56:32 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

I have an area of my property that lies low enough that when there is a heavy rainfall (happens
maybe 2 or 3 times a year) it floods to 2-4 inches deep and can take a couple-three days to drain
away. I'm wanting to plant shrubs/bushes in this area. Last year I planted some roses, butterfly
bushes, and a purple smoke tree. The roses and butterfly bushes survived all flooding events, but
the purple smoke tree died with the very first one.

What are some shrubs/bushes that are tolerant to short periods of flooding? Zone 7, full sun, red
clay soil.

Hi, as a follow-up on myself, I'm liking the idea of planting some Euonymus alata compacta (Dwarf
Burning Bush) in this area. Do you think that it could handle the short periods of flooding I
mentioned?

Old 23-01-2005, 06:42 PM
David J Bockman

Please don't. It is considered an invasive, noxious species in many parts of
the US.

wrote:

I have an area of my property that lies low enough that when there is a

heavy rainfall (happens
maybe 2 or 3 times a year) it floods to 2-4 inches deep and can take a

couple-three days to drain
away. I'm wanting to plant shrubs/bushes in this area. Last year I

planted some roses, butterfly
bushes, and a purple smoke tree. The roses and butterfly bushes survived

all flooding events, but
the purple smoke tree died with the very first one.

What are some shrubs/bushes that are tolerant to short periods of

flooding? Zone 7, full sun, red
clay soil.

Hi, as a follow-up on myself, I'm liking the idea of planting some

Euonymus alata compacta (Dwarf
Burning Bush) in this area. Do you think that it could handle the short

periods of flooding I
mentioned?

[IMG] code is On

bushes & shrubs jones Australia 4 01-01-2010 11:19 AM
Warm Tolerant Cymbidiums [email protected] Orchids 6 27-03-2003 05:44 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM
Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 8 11-03-2003 05:46 AM
Suggestions - Annual flowering vine - shade tolerant Robert Gray North Carolina 0 06-03-2003 04:39 PM