Old 28-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Nathan Mellor

Default Composting Kraft Paper?

I'm looking for a biodegradable liner to put in the droppings tray of quail
cages I will build. This so I can add it to my compost bin. Kraft brown or
brown indented paper sounds like a good idea. From previous posts it sounds
like kraft paper is very recyclable.

My compost bin has never completely functioned, mostly because it is
disproportionately grass clippings (Nitrogen). The Coturnix quail droppings
will be high nitrogen too, but I would expect that the kraft paper will add
more carbon to the mix.

It's not very feasible to shred it finely since it will be covered with
droppings and likely damp. More likely it be crumpled up wads of 24"x36"
sheets with quail droppings wrapped up in them.

So how fast will it break down if not shredded? Mixed with grass clippings
and some small number of leaves and weeds.

Nathan
Near Portland, OR

Old 28-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Cereus-validus...

That's "craft" paper, like in arts and crafts.

Its not made out of cheese, you silly goose.

I know, a Google search turns up listings under the name "kraft paper". Its
probably to make it easier for dyslexic finger painters to get a hold of
paper to play with.

Old 28-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
m...
That's "craft" paper, like in arts and crafts.

Its not made out of cheese, you silly goose.

In the trade (and I was in the trade for 18 years) it's called Kraft Paper,
you silly duck.

Old 28-01-2005, 09:32 PM
dps

You don't have to shred it. However, it will take longer to compost.
Just how long depends, among other things, on how frequently you turn
it. At a guess, if you turn it 2-4 times in the year you could use it
next year. If you turn it once per year, it will take 2 or 3 years.
Turning will add air to the pile, which is required for composting.

Newspaper is also OK for composting, and is easier to shred since you
just do it after reading (presumably that doesn't get it wet). You will
want some sort of balance between the newspaper and the amount of grass
you add to the pile. You can also use scrap vegetable matter (assuming
you prepare food that includes vegetables). I wouldn't use magazines,
since they use different paper and inks, but newspapers are using
biodegradable soy-based inks (even the color sections are degradable
now). There may be a few small papers that don't but I believe states
regulate the environmental impact of newspapers these days.

The point of shredding is to increase the surface area of the material
you're composting. This will present more opportunities for the
composting organisms to get at the material.

Old 28-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Cereus-validus...

"In the trade (and I was in the trade for 18 years) it's called Kraft Paper,
you silly duck."

How sad that is that nobody in the trade is bright enough to correct a
simple spelling error. Maybe it from prolonged exposure to toxic fumes or
lead in cheap paints.

Old 28-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Nathan Mellor

I know its not made of cheese, but I'm also not planning to do art with it.
Kraft paper is a much more specific term for what I wan't. I was not
referring to a brand name; I don't believe Kraft makes kraft paper.

So, anything on my question?

http://www.afandpa.org/Content/Navig...y/Glossary.htm

Kraft paper: A paper made essentially from wood pulp produced by a modified
sulfate pulping process. It is a comparatively coarse paper particularly
noted for its strength, and in unbleached grades is primarily used as a
wrapper or packaging material. It can be watermarked, striped, or
calendered, and it has an acceptable surface for printing. Its natural
unbleached color is brown but by the use of semibleached or fully bleached
sulfate pulps it can be produced in lighter shades of brown, cream tints,
and white. In addition to its use as a wrapping paper, it is converted into
such products as: grocery bags, envelopes, gummed sealing tape, asphalted
papers, multiwall sacks, tire wraps, butcher wraps, waxed paper, coated
paper, as well as specialty bags and sacks.

Old 28-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Cereus-validus...

Generic brown craft paper is specific? Put a brown paper bag over your head
and you can be the "Unknown Composter"!!!

Didn't you ever hear of using old newspaper to line bird cages? Or are you
like our president Dubya and don't (can't?) read newspapers?

Old 28-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Nathan Mellor

"dps" wrote in message

Newspaper is also OK for composting, and is easier to shred since you
just do it after reading (presumably that doesn't get it wet).

True if I shred it right after reading, but probably not if it has been
under the bird cage.

So it sounds like either newspaper or "the paper made essentially from wood
pulp produced by a modified sulfate pulping process" will work. I don't know
which will neccessarily work better for either the cage or the pile, but
that gives me two good options.

I wonder if I should start reading a newspaper?

Nathan

Old 28-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Nathan Mellor

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
news

Didn't you ever hear of using old newspaper to line bird cages?

So given your experience, you find newspaper to be a vastly superior product
to "a paper made essentially from wood pulp produced by a modified
sulfate pulping process" for the uses I described? Now there's a useful
answer assuming I get a newspaper.

Or are you
like our president Dubya

^^^^
And when did that spelling get blessed?

I know, a Google search turns up listings under the name "Dubya".

Nathan

Old 29-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
"In the trade (and I was in the trade for 18 years) it's called Kraft

Paper,
you silly duck."

How sad that is that nobody in the trade is bright enough to correct a
simple spelling error. Maybe it from prolonged exposure to toxic fumes or
lead in cheap paints.

It's not a spelling error. It's not paper for crafts. It's paper for
wrapping. The name comes from the color - kraft brown.
And you're still a silly duck.

Old 31-01-2005, 03:36 AM
RWL

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:37:58 GMT, "Cereus-validus..." wrote:
How sad that is that nobody in the trade is bright enough to correct a
simple spelling error. Maybe it from prolonged exposure to toxic fumes or
lead in cheap paints.

Kraft is the correct spelling. Kraft is the German word for Strong,
The paper used for grocery bags is kraft paper. There is also paper
used for arts and crafts, sold as craft paper.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Old 31-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Ricky

"RWL" wrote in message

"Ricky" wrote in message
"In the trade (and I was in the trade for 18 years) it's called Kraft

Paper,
you silly duck."

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:37:58 GMT, "Cereus-validus..." wrote:
How sad that is that nobody in the trade is bright enough to correct a
simple spelling error. Maybe it from prolonged exposure to toxic fumes or
lead in cheap paints.

Kraft is the correct spelling. Kraft is the German word for Strong,
The paper used for grocery bags is kraft paper. There is also paper
used for arts and crafts, sold as craft paper.

Right on! Tell 'em RWL. He may no plants but he don't squat about Kraft
paper. So now I'm wondering what came first Kraft Paper or the color Kraft
Brown (see Crayola for details.)

Old 31-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Cereus-validus...

Right on! Tell 'em RWL. He may no plants but he don't squat about Kraft
paper.

You did it again dyslexic dick. That's "know plants".

You are definitely one illiterate cheese head.

Its the plain brown paper that a dead fish on your doorstep is wrapped
in!!!!

So now I'm wondering what came first Kraft Paper or the color Kraft Brown
(see Crayola for details.)

Not at all surprised that you still play with crayons.

You probably made too much of a mess with your finger paints!!!!!

Old 31-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
om...
Right on! Tell 'em RWL. He may no plants but he don't squat about Kraft
paper.

You did it again dyslexic dick. That's "know plants".

Brain moving faster than hands. Near-sighted yes, dyslexic no.

You are definitely one illiterate cheese head.

Now that I take exception to. I'm a Bear's fan.

Its the plain brown paper that a dead fish on your doorstep is wrapped
in!!!!

Our fish come from sushi bars. Not wrapped in Kraft Paper.

So now I'm wondering what came first Kraft Paper or the color Kraft Brown
(see Crayola for details.)

Not at all surprised that you still play with crayons.

You probably made too much of a mess with your finger paints!!!!!

Ah, but at least I'm talented enough to know how to color!

You are so easily riled. And so much fun to tease. It's a shame that your
attitude can't compete with your plant knowledge.

"Ricky" wrote in message
"RWL" wrote in message

"Ricky" wrote in message
"In the trade (and I was in the trade for 18 years) it's called Kraft

Paper,
you silly duck."

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:37:58 GMT, "Cereus-validus..." wrote:
How sad that is that nobody in the trade is bright enough to correct a
simple spelling error. Maybe it from prolonged exposure to toxic fumes
or
lead in cheap paints.

Kraft is the correct spelling. Kraft is the German word for Strong,
The paper used for grocery bags is kraft paper. There is also paper
used for arts and crafts, sold as craft paper.

Right on! Tell 'em RWL. He may no plants but he don't squat about Kraft
paper. So now I'm wondering what came first Kraft Paper or the color

Kraft
Brown (see Crayola for details.)

[IMG] code is On

Composting Shredded Paper Droog Genzel United Kingdom 23 16-02-2005 08:53 PM
Composting Office Paper Down Under On The Bucket Farm Edible Gardening 32 18-02-2004 02:07 AM
Composting Office Paper Down Under On The Bucket Farm Gardening 29 18-02-2004 02:02 AM
Composting Paper Rusty Mase Texas 0 07-01-2004 09:50 PM
composting shredded paper Mark Fawcett United Kingdom 8 24-12-2003 12:10 AM