Old 13-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Stephen Henning

Default New Deer repellant

A rhododedron gardener reported on a new deer repellant he is
trying this winter. He treated over 400 plants that normally get
heavily browsed and only about 15 got nibbled this winter. It is
"Plantskydd". Does anyone on this group have any experience with this
product? Its claim to fame is that it lasts 6 months. I know the
egg-based products work on the short term, but this product which is
blood-meal based has the promise of giving an effective level of
protection for the entire winter.

I use deer netting on my worst chewed plants, but have some like
PJM and Hinoki Cypress that are only browsed when the ground is snow
covered and was thinking of using Plantskydd on these areas.

One thing I have noticed is that some rhododendron, especially the
Catawbiense related ones, don't seem to be bothered. Based upon my
experience with PJM, I would guess that Rhododendron minus does not
throw deer resistance when it is bred.

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

Deer repellant? tenplay Gardening 17 07-09-2006 06:44 PM
Insect Repellant Plant Wanda Australia 11 13-10-2003 11:06 PM
Deer repellant Bob Edible Gardening 5 13-08-2003 04:14 AM
aphid repellant Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 6 10-03-2003 01:05 PM