Old 12-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Simon

Default Protect Hedge from kids!

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Sterling

you have my curiosity up - why are the kids breaking the hedges? what
age are these kids? do you know the parents? were they cutting through
your yard and the hedges were planted to deter them?

Old 12-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Is there any approved "kids safe" pesticide that can be used on those most
destructive pests of all? Those awful feral rugrats are pretty much
oblivious to anything that is non-toxic.

How about huge yellow cards covered with sticky goo?

Old 12-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Simon

In answer to your questions, I don't know the ages of the kids, or who
their parents are (if they even know themselves!) It's happening when
I'm not looking - I've noticed it particularly when the local schools
let out in the afternoon!

I take the point about law suites etc. I think I'll just let nature
take it's course - they will grow eventually!

Old 12-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Travis

Simon wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only
thing is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap
the tops off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily
thing I can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids
think twice next time they try?

Thanks!

If they are your kids and they don't mind you, just wait until they are
older.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 13-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Darren Garrison

On 12 Mar 2005 01:25:47 -0800, "Simon" wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know it won't look too great, but why not build some kind of chicken-wire cage around them until
they are too big for children to easily destroy?

Old 14-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Pen

If it's not too cold where you are, try a lawn sprinkle in the
afternoon when the kids are heading home. I think the oscillation one
works best, don't spray too far beyond the hedge, you just need a
little spittle on the kids when they stand too close. Try not to wet
too much of the sidewalk, you want to give people room to get by.
Most pedestrians will walk around the wet spot.