Old 16-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Broman24

Default The waiting is the hardest part...

I'm a novice who finally made the commitment to do something I've been
longing to do and that is to plant seeds of different trees and bushes.
I would be far happier and more satisfied looking at my yard seeing
trees and bushes that I grew from seed.

I began collecting seeds early last December and placed them in a baggy
and put them in my freezer for over a month (I researched some sources
that clued me in to doing this). Two weeks ago, I purchased a nifty
little planters greenhouse which has 25 peat pods and a plastic
covering. I planted each of my seeds, provided adequate watering, and
positioned this mini greenhouse under a florescent light. I do not see
anything happening, and it's been a couple weeks already. I am getting
the feeling as though my efforts have failed. Do I need to wait it out?
Or, should I not play Mother Nature, give up, and spend at the nearest
Home Depot?

Any positive advice and/or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frustrated

Old 16-03-2005, 05:14 PM

Broman24 wrote:
[...]

It depends on what you planted. Most deciduous plants in temperate
areas need a cold period, usually much longer than the month you have
given them. Some also then need a warm period before they can
germinate, which may take several more months. Some seeds have thick
coatings that take years to deteriorate unless done chemically. Give
us an idea of what you planted and then we can help you more.

Toad

Old 16-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Broman24

I appreciate your reply and interest in my question.

I planted crape myrtle seeds. I live in Atlanta, and the seeds were
taken from a bush that I currently have in my yard. Other seeds were
from a pine cone belonging to an evergreen pine popular to the south
with long needles. One other is the seeds from a holly bush which I
washed clean before planting.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you again.

Old 17-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Paulo

I have been quite successful plantin pine and conifers in general in
spanghum moss

--
Paulo
oups.com...

Old 17-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Frogleg

On 16 Mar 2005 07:52:02 -0800, "Broman24" wrote:

I do not see
anything happening, and it's been a couple weeks already. I am getting
the feeling as though my efforts have failed. Do I need to wait it out?
Or, should I not play Mother Nature, give up, and spend at the nearest
Home Depot?

Your best bet is to search on '[plantname] germination' (without the
quotes) to find the specific germination requirements for each type of
seed. Pay particular attention to the length of any stratification
period (that's the term for simulating winter for a seed). Also, the
temperature required for germination, suggested mediums, and the
average germination time.