Old 04-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Limousin region of France
Default Can someone suggest what to do about this hedge...is it dead?

Hello

Our property borders a farmyard and along one edge grows some sort of evergreen conifer hedge about 7 feet tall...some of it is as green as could be and has a lot of new season growth showing, but part of it...in the middle and about 7 or 8 feet in length appears to be if not dead, then certainly unwell...it is all brown and shows no new growth this season.

I wonder what has caused it (run off from farmyard?) and how to breath new life into it.

I have tried to attach a picture with this post so you can all see what I mean but I am not sure if I have pressed the right buttons, if the picture does not appear I would still appreciate your advice.

Hmm still cannot see picture after reviewing thread, but it can be seen at this link...I think?

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...hmentid=&stc=1

Many thanks

edenworkshops
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone suggest what to do about this hedge...is it dead?-conhedge.jpg
Old 05-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Travis

edenworkshops wrote:
Hello

Our property borders a farmyard and along one edge grows some sort
of evergreen conifer hedge about 7 feet tall...some of it is as
green as could be and has a lot of new season growth showing, but
part of it...in the middle and about 7 or 8 feet in length appears
to be if not dead, then certainly unwell...it is all brown and
shows no new growth this season.

I wonder what has caused it (run off from farmyard?) and how to
breath new life into it.

I have tried to attach a picture with this post so you can all see
what I mean but I am not sure if I have pressed the right buttons,
if the picture does not appear I would still appreciate your advice.

Hmm still cannot see picture after reviewing thread, but it can be
seen at this link...I think?

http://tinyurl.com/6d5g7

This is not a binary group. Some ISPs block binaries to non-binary
groups. Try posting to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 05-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Compost Nut

On 4/5/05 10:13 AM, in article eHz4e.25750$k66.10538@trnddc03, "Travis"
wrote:

Our property borders a farmyard and along one edge grows some sort
of evergreen conifer hedge about 7 feet tall...some of it is as
green as could be and has a lot of new season growth showing, but
part of it...in the middle and about 7 or 8 feet in length appears
to be if not dead, then certainly unwell...it is all brown and
shows no new growth this season.

As I understand it the brown branches are in the middle of the hedge where
no sun can reach. Is that correct? If so, that is very normal for conifers.
The only parts that will show life are the outer most branches that can
reach the sun. If you are talking about branches that have access to the sun
then that is another kettle of fish.
Gary

Old 06-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Travis

"Travis" wrote:

Our property borders a farmyard and along one edge grows some sort
of evergreen conifer hedge about 7 feet tall...some of it is as
green as could be and has a lot of new season growth showing, but
part of it...in the middle and about 7 or 8 feet in length appears
to be if not dead, then certainly unwell...it is all brown and
shows no new growth this season.

As I understand it the brown branches are in the middle of the
hedge where no sun can reach. Is that correct? If so, that is very
normal for conifers. The only parts that will show life are the
outer most branches that can reach the sun. If you are talking
about branches that have access to the sun then that is another
kettle of fish.
Gary

Mister Compost Nut you cut off my response to the OP but you left my
name and you make it look like I am the OP.

My response to the OP was that this is not a binary group and that may
be why the picture he attached did not show up.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 06-04-2005, 06:19 AM
Compost Nut

"Travis" wrote:

[...]

Hey, sorry Travis. I see what you mean...oops. It was not intentional. I'm
now thinking I should respond to the first post and not subsequent ones as I
did. That should keep things straight.
Gary

Old 06-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Limousin region of France

As I understand it the brown branches are in the middle of the
hedge where no sun can reach. Is that correct? If so, that is very
normal for conifers. The only parts that will show life are the
outer most branches that can reach the sun. If you are talking
about branches that have access to the sun then that is another
kettle of fish.

Well I guess it is another kettle of fish then Gary....the hedge is about 30 feet long in total and gets sun from sunrise to about 4pm...20 feet of the hedge appears to be healthy you can see from the picture, a large chunk of it seems to be dead, although a very few branches at the very bottom have a few bits of growth.

Thank you for your input so far, I would appreciate some more comments.

edenworkshops

[IMG] code is On

Can anyone suggest a good set of tools? Mat Bonsai 3 27-01-2007 11:52 PM
Can someone tell me if this hedge is dead edenworkshops United Kingdom 1 06-04-2005 04:02 PM
[IBC] Can anyone suggest a good set of tools? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 27-12-2004 05:49 PM
can somebody suggest Rasputin Ponds 9 06-01-2004 07:02 PM
can I suggest a new FAQ? Jill United Kingdom 17 28-01-2003 07:21 PM