Old 13-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Toni

Default Plant ID request

Photos on:

http://www.cearbhaill.com/ice_plants.htm

Plants were purchased as simply "ice plants" and the retailer neither
remembers them nor knows what they are.
They are a marvelous ground cover that is doing very well in sunny, hot, and
dry South Florida conditions, and I would love to recommend them to friends
if I actually knew what they were...

Once identified then can we talk about propagating them?
I assume stem cuttings taken during an actively growing season?

Thanks

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 13-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Cereus-validus.....

They are Aptenia. They are not cold hardy further north but since the flower
the first year from seed they can be grown as annuals. They can also be
propagated from cuttings.

http://www.mediterraneangardensociet...cordifolia.cfm

The yellow flowered plant is Aptenia (formerly Platythyra) haeckeliana, the
purple flowered is Aptenia cordifolia. The two will hybridize in
cultivation. The cultivars 'Red Apple' and 'Sunny Sue' are such hybrids.

.. .

Old 13-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Toni

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
m...
They are Aptenia. They are not cold hardy further north but since the

flower
the first year from seed they can be grown as annuals. They can also be
propagated from cuttings.

http://www.mediterraneangardensociet...cordifolia.cfm

The yellow flowered plant is Aptenia (formerly Platythyra) haeckeliana,

the
purple flowered is Aptenia cordifolia. The two will hybridize in
cultivation. The cultivars 'Red Apple' and 'Sunny Sue' are such hybrids.

Thank you!!
I see they're considered invasive in California- no wonder they are doing so
well.
It is just a rare thing to find something so lovely which tolerates both my
very dry winters and the /deluges/floods of summer and fall.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 13-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Cereus-validus.....

You may have noticed that the captions for the variegated forms of Aptenia
cordifolia and Aptenia lancifolia were inadvertently switched. (Aptenia
lancifolia has an elliptical leaf blade not rounded at the base.) Both are
purple flowered. The variegates do not come true from seed and must be
propagated from cuttings.

"escape" wrote in message
I love the variegated variety.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:33:03 GMT, "Cereus-validus....."
opined: