Old 22-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Dukester

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Warren"
wrote:

Your worries are nonsensical if they become excuses not to plant around a
house. If are only sensible if you take such possibilities into
consideration & plant sensibly.

Uh, isn't that what I was seeking advice about, "planting sensibly"?

Or just tell your wife "**** off & die, & your little garden too," it
amounts to the same thing. Though that WOULD fit the tone of the original
complaint,

I think that was in your min

reason to find a nicer sweety to share one's life with. When a garden
becomes a point of contention with one's spouse, it's a clue the spouse is
a butthead, not that some roots are going to tip the house over.

Right. I didn't say the garden was a point of contention, (I asked how
close, and what is ok or not ok to plant, or even *horrors* maybe I should
not be worried about it at all! How convenient you leave out that last
part!

Anyone this eager to berate someone based on 1 usenet posting must have a
great time in the garden!

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.pagat.com/giftshop.html

Old 22-04-2005, 03:55 AM
paghat

In article , "Dukester"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Dukester"

And I knew you'd be open to the worst-case scenario by a paranoid
alarmist, cuz you made up your mind without need of knowledge & just
wanted to hear what you "already know" rather than the facts. It remains,
if you're only fishing for excuses to assault your wife for her gardening

Ummm... let me get this straight. It is okay to go by the one extreme that
"everything will be fine, just let it all go (grow)", but not the other
"extreme" that roots can cause foundation problems, or shrubs, and the mulch
under them up to the siding hides termite tunnels. At least the latter item
I was correct about and the end result was expensive termite treatment and
having to replace an entire wall of siding. When you see termites in your
house, you'd be alarmed also. Hmm. On the other hand, I could just go by
what you say and do nothing. Wait, except that, according to you that in
wanting to maintain my house, and by seeking information to do so I must be
abusing my spouse. Sounds like someone here is a paranoid alarmist alright.
Hmm..Sigh. Plonk.

Looks like the first response to this wackjob was the correct one: A troll.

-paggers
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 22-04-2005, 06:22 AM
Leon Trollski

"Dukester" wrote in message
My wife is the gardener at our place while I have the "maintenance" jobs

of
mowing, digging, removing brush, running the tractor etc. We live in a 25
year old house that has boxwoods, redtips, and more recently, azaleas
planted next to the house. I've tried to tell my wife that it's not a

good
thing to plant this stuff so close to the house (less than 2 feet) but she
ignores me and continues on. Her gardening style is a minimalist

approach;
as in, "it doesn't need trimmed/pruned/removed" even if it's sprawling
across a path or covering up a window. Now we have a 12' Leyland Cypress
about a 2.5' from the corner of the house. If I try and get her to move

or
trim things we end up in an argument and I just drop the subject

altogether.
Should I just leave well enough alone? We have our place treated for
termites every summer, and no problems to date, although there is some
seepage problems in the basement that I can't directly attribute to the
plants being so close. Is discretion the better part of valor in this

case,
and am I making much ado about nothing?.. What is your approach!?

--Cheers!
Duke

I've met someone worse than this guy. A lady claimed to have got hold of
some "illegal" poisons to smear on her front yard plants, just to keep away
the pets and the marauding children. Or maybe the idea was "kill them it
will teach them a lesson". Anyways, she was completely wacko.

Old 22-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Leon Trollski

"Dukester" wrote in message

[...]

It's like you're coming here seeking justification to fight with your
spouse, or perhaps beat on her, anyways, I don't like your tone. You sound
like everybody's victim. Grow up.

Old 22-04-2005, 01:30 PM

planting too close to the house is something a great many of us do precisely because
we havent checked out what plants can do to houses, or because we are over zealous.
My mother was a master gardener and our house suffered.
deep rooted shrubs/trees over the septic system
vines that pried the mortar between the bricks and pried clapboards loose
trees with roots from hell too close to the foundation and one that we found out
would explode if hit by lightning. during an ice storm big branches of this tree did
fall dangerously close to the house and it had to be removed.
and as you say, failure of some plants because they didnt get watered from being
under the eaves.
OTOH, house builders would like to see this minimum of 3 foot "zone" of crushed rock
around the perimeter of the house. I think that might be too much in the other
direction.
I occasionally watch these "curb appeal" shows and basically they all involve
whacking the bushes that are next to the house and/or hiding it. Now if the outside
of the house is really ugggggly, maybe greenery helps hide it.
around here is seems some people are using bushes on the outside instead of blinds on
the inside. or maybe using bushes to prevent burglars from using windows to get into
the house???? anyway, they seem to be hiding in their houses.
OTOH, nice plantings near the house can accent it beautifully. I just know I dont
have the best eye for this. Ingrid

"Toni" wrote:
Don't recall any climate/zone info, but in my area planting underneath the
eaves is just asking for a spider mite infestation. The plants foliage stays
too dry because rain can't hit them to wash away the critters.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Old 25-04-2005, 02:43 PM
loonyhiker

Unfortunately I can sympathize with your wife. I also seem to plant too
close to the house and DH comes out and kindly asks me if I have done any
research about the plant or checked with the wonderful people on this
newsgroup before I planted my new friend. Of course in my excitement to get
it in the ground (due to happiness, time constraints as well as being in the
mood), I want to quickly get it in the ground so I can admire the color and
the beauty. I never seem to think about the future and how big it will get
or whether it will overshadow other plants or if other plants in full bloom
will overshadow my new friend. I really hate to admit that my DH is right
(usually 95% of the time, which is truly aggravating!) and mumble the entire
time I dig up my new friend and move it away from the house or plant it in a
different spot. Of course I get over my grumbling when I can really admire
my friend the next year and seems it is in the perfect spot it is now in. I
guess after 23 years, DH is used to me by now! What I'm getting at, is maybe
it is how you approach your spouse and how you say it rather than just what
you say. It works for my DH!

loony