Old 05-05-2005, 01:18 AM
junkyardcat

Default Amaryllis Seeds???

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm curious I have some Amaryllis
(actually called St. Joseph's Lily) that my Grandma gave me a couple of
years ago. When I picked off the dead blooms, I noticed there are little
white seeds (?) in the middle along the neck. Are they seeds? Can you plant
seeds and they'll grow into bulbs? It got me to wondering, and I figured
this is the best place to ask

Thanks for any info

Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

Old 05-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Gee whiz.

I would have though the best place to ask would have been an Amaryllis
group.

Since the seeds of Hippeastrum are black flattened discs, wht you have must
be something else.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:06 AM
zxcvbob

junkyardcat wrote:
This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm curious I have some Amaryllis
(actually called St. Joseph's Lily) that my Grandma gave me a couple of
years ago. When I picked off the dead blooms, I noticed there are little
white seeds (?) in the middle along the neck. Are they seeds? Can you plant
seeds and they'll grow into bulbs? It got me to wondering, and I figured
this is the best place to ask

Thanks for any info

Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

Amaryllis make round seed pods about 1.5 to 2" in diameter with 3
chambers and usually lots of black papery seeds, each maybe 3/4" across.
You plant them as soon as the seed pod opens up. I don't remember how
long it takes them to germinate. It takes several years for them to
bloom from seeds.

It sounds like they are very immature seeds that you picked way too early.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 AM
Travis

Cereus-validus..... wrote:
Gee whiz.

I would have though the best place to ask would have been an
Amaryllis group.

Since the seeds of Hippeastrum are black flattened discs, wht you
have must be something else.

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm curious I have some
Amaryllis
(actually called St. Joseph's Lily) that my Grandma gave me a
couple of years ago. When I picked off the dead blooms, I noticed
there are little white seeds (?) in the middle along the neck. Are
they seeds? Can you plant
seeds and they'll grow into bulbs? It got me to wondering, and I
figured this is the best place to ask

Thanks for any info

Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

I don't think there is a Amaryllis newsgroup listed at
ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/CONFIG/active so if there is such a newsgroup
it would be a rogue and not carried by all ISP's.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 AM
Travis

junkyardcat wrote:
This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm curious I have some
Amaryllis (actually called St. Joseph's Lily) that my Grandma gave
me a couple of years ago. When I picked off the dead blooms, I
noticed there are little white seeds (?) in the middle along the
neck. Are they seeds? Can you plant seeds and they'll grow into
bulbs? It got me to wondering, and I figured this is the best place
to ask

Thanks for any info

Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

The seeds you have may not be ripe.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 05-05-2005, 06:49 AM
BattMeals

I'm not sure how long mine took to sprout, maybe one year possibly two
years. I scattered the seeds/pods two years ago and last year. No
attempt was made to bury or cover them. This year I have new amaryllis
growing in the area. In one are where I tossed some excess mushroom
compost, none sprouted. The new plants resemble droopy grass with two
blades.

I'm in sunset zone 15, USDA hardiness zone 9b.

-matt

Old 05-05-2005, 01:55 PM
zxcvbob

BattMeals wrote:
I'm not sure how long mine took to sprout, maybe one year possibly two
years. I scattered the seeds/pods two years ago and last year. No
attempt was made to bury or cover them. This year I have new amaryllis
growing in the area. In one are where I tossed some excess mushroom
compost, none sprouted. The new plants resemble droopy grass with two
blades.

I'm in sunset zone 15, USDA hardiness zone 9b.

-matt

I think mine took a couple of weeks to sprout.

Bob
Old 06-05-2005, 03:46 PM
SedumQueen

It could be specks of left over pollen. My peace lillies do that.