Old 06-05-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Bougainvilla growing on roof? How?

I live in Phoenix and am thinking of planting Bougainvilla on the top
of my lathed-roofed ramada (back yard sun shelter). It would be planted
in pots and hopefully trained to trail down over the edges.

The roof slats are set about an inch apart.

I'm wondering about how to water these - and how to keep the water from
dripping down onto the floor of the ramada.

Or is this a bad idea (trying to grow Bougainvilla in pots)?

Thanks for ideas or suggestions!

Old 06-05-2005, 02:15 PM
nina

I live in Phoenix and am thinking of planting Bougainvilla on the top
of my lathed-roofed ramada (back yard sun shelter). It would be

planted
in pots and hopefully trained to trail down over the edges.

The roof slats are set about an inch apart.

I'm wondering about how to water these - and how to keep the water

from
dripping down onto the floor of the ramada.

Or is this a bad idea (trying to grow Bougainvilla in pots)?

Why not grow them up??
They can get very heavy.

Thanks for ideas or suggestions!

Old 06-05-2005, 06:42 PM

I could do that - watering via drip would probably be easier.

Is there a special variety that's good for trellising? How do I get
them started on their upward growth?

Old 06-05-2005, 09:47 PM
RhondaM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Phoenix and am thinking of planting Bougainvilla on the top
of my lathed-roofed ramada (back yard sun shelter). It would be planted
in pots and hopefully trained to trail down over the edges.

The roof slats are set about an inch apart.

I'm wondering about how to water these - and how to keep the water from
dripping down onto the floor of the ramada.

Or is this a bad idea (trying to grow Bougainvilla in pots)?

Thanks for ideas or suggestions!

I was just in Phoenix at the Hilton Tapatio resort and they had Bougainvilla
growing everywhere on rooftops, bushes and flower pots and beds. Call them
and ask for grounds maint and see if they have any ideas. I am buying a
Bougainvilla this weekend and I live in Oklahoma zone 7.
Let me know what they say ok? I am curious myself.

RhondaM

Old 06-05-2005, 11:32 PM
yippie

On Fri, 06 May 2005 20:47:43 GMT, "RhondaM" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I live in Phoenix and am thinking of planting Bougainvilla on the top
of my lathed-roofed ramada (back yard sun shelter). It would be planted
in pots and hopefully trained to trail down over the edges.

The roof slats are set about an inch apart.

I'm wondering about how to water these - and how to keep the water from
dripping down onto the floor of the ramada.

Or is this a bad idea (trying to grow Bougainvilla in pots)?

Thanks for ideas or suggestions!

I was just in Phoenix at the Hilton Tapatio resort and they had Bougainvilla
growing everywhere on rooftops, bushes and flower pots and beds. Call them
and ask for grounds maint and see if they have any ideas. I am buying a
Bougainvilla this weekend and I live in Oklahoma zone 7.
Let me know what they say ok? I am curious myself.

RhondaM

Bougainvillea roots hate standing in water. Learn to manage your
watering ( I count as I water my pots)

http://www.houstongardening.info/bouginfo.htm

Old 07-05-2005, 02:02 AM
nina

I could do that - watering via drip would probably be easier.

Is there a special variety that's good for trellising? How do I get
them started on their upward growth?

Here (Puerto Rico) They sell small ones in hanging baskets. But the
large ones grow VERY tall. I think I have one on my site....

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/photos2/IM004480.JPG
The big pink thing is a Bvillea (aka Trinitaria)

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/photos2/IM004478.JPG

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/photos2/IM004479.JPG

This one is about 12 feet tall, not including the part hanging over the
wall.

They seem to have no problem at all climbing, its that they do. They
are woody and dont requite support but I suppose can be tied somehow to
a trellis. I see them along fences here. But it seems that the
structure would have to be quite strong.
HTH a little
Nina

Old 07-05-2005, 05:08 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'm always amazed at how well Bougainvilla grow,
seemingly unattended, along highways around Phoenix. The ones in my
yard don't do nearly as well, and I've suspected for a long time that
car exhaust gases :-) seems to have some kind of beneficial effect on
the plants.

That said, I've tried years when I didn't water my ground-planted B's
at all - and other years when I've been more aggressive - I personally
haven't witnessed that "water-starved" B's do better (more flowers or
brachts), but I've read it many, many places.

By the way, thanks for your very valuable hyperlink to your B site!!!
Lots of interesting material I will digest there!!

Old 07-05-2005, 05:37 PM
rosie read n' post

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, i just loved that place!
especially all the pools!

--
rosie
http://www.moveonpac.org./

"RhondaM" wrote in message
m...

oups.com...

Old 07-05-2005, 06:29 PM
RhondaM

Oh yes the pools. One night my husband and I and some friends were in the
sunset hot tub. The one up on the hill and a real big gust of wind blew in
and knocked all the patio furniture across the patio. Thats was real scary
for us! The pools there are awesome. We swam in almost all of them. What was
really cool was the party our company had for us one eve. It was by the
grotto pool and palm terr. Oh man for us Okies that was something to
remember. I also loved the fact they treat their pools with saline instead
of chlorine.
Best wishes,
RhondaM
"rosie read n' post" wrote in message
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, i just loved that place!
especially all the pools!

--
rosie
http://www.moveonpac.org./
http://www.codepinkalert.org/index.php

"RhondaM" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Stopping wisteria growing under roof tiles Lobster United Kingdom 3 14-06-2005 08:45 AM
Bougainvilla Mark Hewitt United Kingdom 3 12-10-2004 05:22 PM
[IBC] Bougainvilla Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 3 24-09-2004 04:21 AM
Bougainvilla Randall Youngblood Bonsai 0 24-09-2004 01:21 AM
Bougainvilla Randall Youngblood Bonsai 0 24-09-2004 01:21 AM