Old 07-10-2004, 01:10 AM
Mark Hewitt

Default Bougainvilla

Please excuse me if this is not the right newsgroup, but I recently saw some
beautiful Bougainvilla in Kefalonia, Greece. Has anyone managed to grow
this plant in the United Kingdom north of Watford. If so can you offer me
any advice.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:20 PM
jane

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:56:13 GMT, "ron" wrote:

~yes its sold in this country but wont survive under 4 degrees C
~"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message
~ Please excuse me if this is not the right newsgroup, but I recently saw
~some
~ beautiful Bougainvilla in Kefalonia, Greece. Has anyone managed to grow
~ this plant in the United Kingdom north of Watford. If so can you offer me
~ any advice.
~

It is a conservatory plant in this country. I have three in my
conservatory, one from a newsagent (!) and two from Westdale
Nurseries, Bradford on Avon. They sell just about every colour of
bougainvillea possible. I've got a white, a gold and a classic pink.
Keep meaning to get a really deep red!

Their website is
http://www.westdalenurseries.co.uk/

and has loads on info on growing them, persuading them to flower...
They survive in relatively small pots, and can be put out for the
summer. But beware the thorns!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 12-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message
Please excuse me if this is not the right newsgroup, but I recently saw

some
beautiful Bougainvilla in Kefalonia, Greece. Has anyone managed to grow
this plant in the United Kingdom north of Watford. If so can you offer me
any advice.

There are a couple outside around the coast in Cornwall and some in the
Torbay area, they will take dry cold in winter so are doable under glass but
out side you need an overhang as well as a sunny south wall and a place in
the far south and west. If you are determined to try, choose a red or purple
variety not orange or yellow and avoid variegated or double plants (all of
which are more tender)

Bougainvilla growing on roof? How? [email protected] Gardening 8 07-05-2005 06:29 PM
[IBC] Bougainvilla Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 3 24-09-2004 04:21 AM
Bougainvilla Randall Youngblood Bonsai 0 24-09-2004 01:21 AM
Bougainvilla Randall Youngblood Bonsai 0 24-09-2004 01:21 AM