Old 11-05-2005, 04:45 AM
BearDrummer

Default Kids gardening

There are 2 reasons for this post... 1: so I can brag on my little
girl, and 2: to get other people to brag on their kids, too...

My 6 year old daughter has a little garden "all her own"... she started
the seeds, helped plant the seedlings, and she waters them on a
semi-regular basis...

She got to see her first flower in her garden today - one of the
oriental peas flowered - and is already producing a pod... she is so
excited I had to show her a "full grown pea pod" to keep her from
picking and eating it right then... She is very excited!!

Tony

Old 11-05-2005, 02:38 PM
enigma

"BearDrummer" wrote in
ups.com:

There are 2 reasons for this post... 1: so I can brag on my
little girl, and 2: to get other people to brag on their
kids, too...

My 6 year old daughter has a little garden "all her own"...
she started the seeds, helped plant the seedlings, and she
waters them on a semi-regular basis...

She got to see her first flower in her garden today - one
of the oriental peas flowered - and is already producing a
pod... she is so excited I had to show her a "full grown
pea pod" to keep her from picking and eating it right
then... She is very excited!!

my 4.75 year old is on his 2nd year of 'his own' gardening.
we're in NH, so he only has lettuce out in the garden, but he
has several tomatoes & peppers (both hot & sweet), plus
watermelon & pumpkins started under lights indoors.he also has
moonflowers, bells of Ireland, hollyhocks & four o'clocks
under the lights (i had to go look. i don't always remember
what he's started). we buy marigolds to plant with the basil &
tomatoes & he'll probably start nasturtiums outside after last
frost date (2 more weeks).
he's asked me to help him build a bean teepee & he got ahold
of my Making Bentwood Trellises (Jim Long) book, so he has a
few projects in there picked out, including a trellis for the
moonflowers.
oh yeah, he has 4 flats of pansies ready to go out too... and
2 windowboxes on the enclosed porch, one with beets & one
carrots. he's definately been bitten by the garden bug
lee
Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 AM
axemanchris

"BearDrummer" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are 2 reasons for this post... 1: so I can brag on my little
girl, and 2: to get other people to brag on their kids, too...

My 6 year old daughter has a little garden "all her own"... she started
the seeds, helped plant the seedlings, and she waters them on a
semi-regular basis...

She got to see her first flower in her garden today - one of the
oriental peas flowered - and is already producing a pod... she is so
excited I had to show her a "full grown pea pod" to keep her from
picking and eating it right then... She is very excited!!

Tony

My kids don't have their own garden - yet - but are growing grass seed in
egg shells with faces drawn on them. The "egg heads" are a really cute
project, especially for young kids or urbanites with no gardening area and
the grass ends up looking like hair.

Jacqui

Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Natty Dread

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

WOW! Now that's a kid with a green thumb!

Old 13-05-2005, 01:02 AM
nanner

"BearDrummer" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are 2 reasons for this post... 1: so I can brag on my little
girl, and 2: to get other people to brag on their kids, too...

My 6 year old daughter has a little garden "all her own"... she started
the seeds, helped plant the seedlings, and she waters them on a
semi-regular basis...

She got to see her first flower in her garden today - one of the
oriental peas flowered - and is already producing a pod... she is so
excited I had to show her a "full grown pea pod" to keep her from
picking and eating it right then... She is very excited!!

Tony

my 4 year old son has a pot with tomatos and garlic. he helps me all over
the yard and can point out a hosta or a pansy but that's about it because
that's all we have!! he helped build a 8'x6' trellis with me too. my 2 year
old daughter is happy to sit in a dirt pile and scoop dirt on her lap LOL

Oh yeah - my son also runs around the yard screaming "WEEDS!!! WEEDS!!!" and
pretends they are chasing him - LOL

Old 13-05-2005, 05:19 PM
enigma

"Natty Dread" wrote in
m:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

my 4.75 year old is on his 2nd year of 'his own'
gardening.

WOW! Now that's a kid with a green thumb!

yeah, if he'd get weeding down i'd just retire
he tends to be very passionate about his interests. he does
get a bit impatient waiting for seeds to sprout (which makes
indoor seed starting more attractive actually. things come up
faster).
lee

Old 19-05-2005, 08:53 AM
BearDrummer

could we get a picture of these eggheads? They sound interesting...

Old 19-05-2005, 08:55 AM
BearDrummer

The scarey thing is, if I told my daughter about this, she would do the
same thing... and her little brother would become the weeds..... both
of them grow like weeds....

[IMG] code is On

kids gardening BearDrummer Gardening 2 23-06-2005 03:58 AM
Cute gardening "commercial" for kids rdoiron Edible Gardening 2 03-08-2004 05:15 AM
[IBC] Teaching kids? Kitsune Miko Bonsai 3 14-01-2004 05:04 AM
Eating Organics Cuts Kids' Pesticide Loads Tom Jaszewski Gardening 6 03-02-2003 01:59 PM
Seeds for kids? Sally Pointer United Kingdom 9 30-10-2002 09:42 AM