Old 12-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Mystery Plant!

http://cards.webshots.com/cp-9933098...43915986jGrvsy

That link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my house. I can't
identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or even a fern (sort of),
stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The plant remained lively through
the entire winter, surrounded by snow, in temps down to zero. But, it seems
like a tender plant that should not have survived under those conditions.
It's now 4 feet tall. What is it???

Old 12-05-2005, 09:21 PM
extincted

Doug Kanter wrote:
http://cards.webshots.com/cp-9933098...43915986jGrvsy

That link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my house. I can't
identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or even a fern (sort of),
stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The plant remained lively through
the entire winter, surrounded by snow, in temps down to zero. But, it seems
like a tender plant that should not have survived under those conditions.
It's now 4 feet tall. What is it???

It looks as Conium maculatum, poisonous, if it has some kind strong
smell when you take one leaf and smell it that is possible that. It's a
weed.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:55 PM

Take a look at this link for giant hogweed.
Don't get the sap on you until you ID it
http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/hogweed.htm
if you don't trust my link google "Giant Hogweed"

Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Take a look at this link for giant hogweed.
Don't get the sap on you until you ID it
http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/hogweed.htm
if you don't trust my link google "Giant Hogweed"

Thanks for the link. Funny, though: For such an alarming plant, you'd think
they could've posted a good closeup photo of leaf detail. :-)

Old 12-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Take a look at this link for giant hogweed.
Don't get the sap on you until you ID it
http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/hogweed.htm
if you don't trust my link google "Giant Hogweed"

That's not the plant, though. Check this out:
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/cipwg/giant_hogweed.html

Old 13-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/12/05 3:56 PM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

http://cards.webshots.com/cp-9933098...43915986jGrvsy

That link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my house. I can't
identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or even a fern (sort of),
stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The plant remained lively through
the entire winter, surrounded by snow, in temps down to zero. But, it seems
like a tender plant that should not have survived under those conditions.
It's now 4 feet tall. What is it???

Could it be a salad burnet? My other thought is a tansy, but the leaves
aren't quite right.

Cheryl

Old 13-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Doug Kanter said:

http://cards.webshots.com/cp-9933098...43915986jGrvsy

That link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my house. I can't
identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or even a fern (sort of),
stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The plant remained lively through
the entire winter, surrounded by snow, in temps down to zero. But, it

seems
like a tender plant that should not have survived under those conditions.
It's now 4 feet tall. What is it???

I think it's a member of the Parsley family.

The leaves look too finely divided to be wild parsnip or hogweed or
lovage.

My best guess would be poison hemlock.

If you let it go to flower, that would help with an ID

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 13-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Doug Kanter

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Doug Kanter said:

http://cards.webshots.com/cp-9933098...43915986jGrvsy

That link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my house. I
can't
identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or even a fern (sort of),
stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The plant remained lively through
the entire winter, surrounded by snow, in temps down to zero. But, it

seems
like a tender plant that should not have survived under those conditions.
It's now 4 feet tall. What is it???

I think it's a member of the Parsley family.

It sure looks like it, doesn't it, especially the way the new stems come out
of the previous ones. Just....50 times bigger in all dimensions.

The leaves look too finely divided to be wild parsnip or hogweed or
lovage.

Yeah....the hogweed leaves seem to be more palmate, like oak or maple.

My best guess would be poison hemlock.

Oh great....pass the ammo. :-)

If you let it go to flower, that would help with an ID

We shall see. I'll be emailing pictures to the nearest NY DEC office today.

Old 13-05-2005, 06:28 PM
simy1

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

My best guess would be poison hemlock.

That is indeed what it is. If Doug wants to emulate Socrates, he can
now.

Old 13-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Travis

Doug Kanter wrote:
http://cards.webshots.com/cp-9933098...43915986jGrvsy

That link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my
house. I can't identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or
even a fern (sort of), stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The
plant remained lively through the entire winter, surrounded by
snow, in temps down to zero. But, it seems like a tender plant that
should not have survived under those conditions. It's now 4 feet
tall. What is it???

It kind of looks like a Parsnip.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 13-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Doug Kanter

"Travis" wrote in message
newsp7he.42$pb1.35@trnddc08...
Doug Kanter wrote:
http://cards.webshots.com/cp-9933098...43915986jGrvsy

That link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my
house. I can't identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or
even a fern (sort of), stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The
plant remained lively through the entire winter, surrounded by
snow, in temps down to zero. But, it seems like a tender plant that
should not have survived under those conditions. It's now 4 feet
tall. What is it???

It kind of looks like a Parsnip.

Yeah, it does, but it's starting to look more and more like poison hemlock,
as someone else suggested. I'm sending the pictures to the NY DEC for
assistance.

Old 14-05-2005, 03:08 AM
Vox Humana

"Travis" wrote in message
newsp7he.42$pb1.35@trnddc08...
Doug Kanter wrote:
http://cards.webshots.com/cp-9933098...43915986jGrvsy

That link leads to some pictures of a plant that came with my
house. I can't identify it. Leaves look like carrot or parsley or
even a fern (sort of), stem growth habit is similar to fennel. The
plant remained lively through the entire winter, surrounded by
snow, in temps down to zero. But, it seems like a tender plant that
should not have survived under those conditions. It's now 4 feet
tall. What is it???

It kind of looks like a Parsnip.

Yeah, it does, but it's starting to look more and more like poison

hemlock,
as someone else suggested. I'm sending the pictures to the NY DEC for
assistance.

That was my impression also. I don't know if people are becoming more aware
of it or if it just starting to take-off in SW Ohio, but there have been
warnings about it on the news the last couple of years. As I recall, it
gets white flowers. It definitely isn't tansy as I made the mistake of
starting that from seed and spent about three years getting rid of it.