Old 14-05-2005, 01:03 AM
J. Davidson

Default Leyland Cypress disease (fast growing etc.)

We recently lost 4 Leyland Cypress to a disease which no one could diagnose.
I don't know if I would plant these again.
Jackie

Old 14-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Mike LaMana

Jackie:
Where are you?
What are the symptoms and the timeline of their onset?
Did you lose 4 of 4??
How large / old were they?
What is next to them in their immediate growing environment?
How are they watered?

And...what makes you sure they had a disease if no one else could diagnose
same??

--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
NJDEP Approved Forester

Old 14-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Jack

I planted 20 leylands last spring from Home Depot. They seemed to make it
through the winter, but now, most seem to be dying. I thought it was wind
burn, but its not. I think I know what she is talking about. They started
dying right after the last snow storm here in early april. Zone 5.
I am seeing the tips of the plant getting very tan looking, then dying off
completely.

Old 14-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Vox Humana

"Jack" wrote in message news:G6che.248$_f7.75@trndny01...
I planted 20 leylands last spring from Home Depot. They seemed to make it
through the winter, but now, most seem to be dying. I thought it was wind
burn, but its not. I think I know what she is talking about. They

started
dying right after the last snow storm here in early april. Zone 5.
I am seeing the tips of the plant getting very tan looking, then dying off
completely.

I have done some research on Leyland Cypress because I am in need of a good
screen in one area. After reading a number of website, it was my conclusion
that Leyland Cypress was not reliably hearty in zone 6. I am not surprised
that it isn't doing well in zone 5.

Old 14-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Gloria

Try Arizona cypress for a screen, really beautiful, and grow as fast as
leylands but way prettier. I have both and dearly love the Arizonas.

Gloria

.. .

Old 14-05-2005, 06:08 PM
J. Davidson

Our leyland cypress were at least 7 to 8 years old, quite tall and growing
in the back of the yard (in zone7, North Carolina.) and were watered by my
husband when nec., the rain, a sprinkler system which came to about 10 feet
from them.
Over a period of about 3 years the east side of the plants began turning
brown and getting bare. We took samples to the local Agriculture dept, they
could find nothing. We went to many nurseries. We followed everyone's
advice, as the brownness was gradually enveloping the east side of all the
plants. Then it began on the front, and we could tell they were all doomed.
No one had been able to name the disease or a proper cure.
They were removed. Nothing else in our yard was made ill. We have
gardenias, camellias, ROS, privet, crepe myrtle, oak trees, dogwood
tree,Japanese Maple etc. and nothing else was affected.
We have more Leyland Cypress adjacent to this area and so far one branch of
one tree has gone brown, this tree was right next to a sick one which was
removed. We cut the branch off, the rest seem OK up to now.
I wondered if since they are fast growing, we had just witnessed the end of
their life cycle. The adjacent group is now 5 years old and thriving so
far.
Jackie

Old 15-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Mike Prager

Our leyland cypress were at least 7 to 8 years old, quite tall and growing
in the back of the yard (in zone7, North Carolina.) and were watered by my
husband when nec., the rain, a sprinkler system which came to about 10 feet
from them.
Over a period of about 3 years the east side of the plants began turning
brown and getting bare.

The species is known to be prone to diseases. Take a look at
this page:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/not...din17/od17.htm

Mike Prager
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Old 15-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Travis

Mike Prager wrote:
Our leyland cypress were at least 7 to 8 years old, quite tall and
growing in the back of the yard (in zone7, North Carolina.) and
were watered by my husband when nec., the rain, a sprinkler system
which came to about 10 feet from them.
Over a period of about 3 years the east side of the plants began
turning brown and getting bare.

The species is known to be prone to diseases. Take a look at
this page:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/not...din17/od17.htm

It is not prone to diseases here in our climate.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 15-05-2005, 10:05 PM
fran

Try Thuja 'Green Giant' - they are hardy, pest-free, fast growers.
They do get huge, though: 30-50 feet high, 8 - 10' wide.

Wayside Gardens carries them, as do others.

http://www.waysidegardens.com

"J. Davidson" wrote in message
We recently lost 4 Leyland Cypress to a disease which no one could
diagnose.
I don't know if I would plant these again.

[IMG] code is On

Leyland cypress turned brown-help! The Popovics Gardening 0 07-04-2003 02:08 AM
How do Leyland Cypress fare in Austin? Jer Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Propogating Leyland Cypress... TakeThisOut Gardening 2 02-04-2003 04:56 PM
leyland cypress HI HI- Gardening 0 24-03-2003 12:20 AM
leyland cypress Mark or Travis Gardening 13 23-03-2003 04:44 PM