Old 16-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Ottawa

Default Newbie gardener

Hi all,
My wife and I are going to finally start doing some sort or form of
gardening. Aside from flowers and shrubs we decided to try growing some
cherry tomatoes in pots. We bought some plants about 8-12" in hight and how
are stuck with the now what question? Any tips on what to do with the plans
after we transplant them into larger pots. Fertilizer etc... needed?
Thanks

Old 16-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:04:13 -0400, Ottawa wrote:

Hi all,
My wife and I are going to finally start doing some sort or form of
gardening. Aside from flowers and shrubs we decided to try growing some
cherry tomatoes in pots. We bought some plants about 8-12" in hight and how
are stuck with the now what question? Any tips on what to do with the plans
after we transplant them into larger pots. Fertilizer etc... needed?
Thanks

Give them 2 weeks in the pot then start fertilizing. Follow lable
directions. Lots of sunlight. Make sure you water them as soil dries out
faster in pots then in the gorund.

Old 16-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Vox Humana

"Ottawa" wrote in message
Hi all,
My wife and I are going to finally start doing some sort or form of
gardening. Aside from flowers and shrubs we decided to try growing some
cherry tomatoes in pots. We bought some plants about 8-12" in hight and

how
are stuck with the now what question? Any tips on what to do with the

plans
after we transplant them into larger pots. Fertilizer etc... needed?
Thanks

Put then in a spot that gets at least 6 hours of sun. Keep them evenly
moist. Use about a tablespoon of fertilizer per pot each week once they
start growing. You will probably have to stake them or use a tomato cage or
they will sprawl.

Old 16-05-2005, 10:46 PM
JamesG

This is all just my opinion gathered from my experience. I have been
gardening a while and have never had any luck with potted tomatoes. I
would suggest finding a place to put them in the ground. I know pots
can be done but down here in Texas I think the plants get baked in the
afternoon and never do well. They grow great in the ground. If you
are new to gardening I don't want you to get discouraged by potted
tomatoes.
Good luck and have fun.
James

Old 17-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Travis

Ottawa wrote:
Hi all,
My wife and I are going to finally start doing some sort or form of
gardening. Aside from flowers and shrubs we decided to try growing
some cherry tomatoes in pots. We bought some plants about 8-12" in
hight and how are stuck with the now what question? Any tips on
what to do with the plans after we transplant them into larger
pots. Fertilizer etc... needed? Thanks

You should plant the tomatoes with only about 4 inches above the soil
level. Remove the leaves from the stem first. Roots will grow from the
stem under the soil and will give you a much better plant.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 17-05-2005, 03:09 AM
Vox Humana

"JamesG" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is all just my opinion gathered from my experience. I have been
gardening a while and have never had any luck with potted tomatoes. I
would suggest finding a place to put them in the ground. I know pots
can be done but down here in Texas I think the plants get baked in the
afternoon and never do well. They grow great in the ground. If you
are new to gardening I don't want you to get discouraged by potted
tomatoes.
Good luck and have fun.
James

There are some advantages to growing tomatoes (and other veggies) in pots.
First of all, you can move them to a spot where they will do well. If you
think they are getting too much or too little sun, you can move them.
Containers can dry out, but you use far less water then you would if you
were watering them in the ground. Also, it is easier to control weeds and
apply fertilizer. I have had great luck growing tomatoes, pepper,
eggplants, cucumber, and zucchinis in pots on my deck.

Old 17-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Doug Kanter

"Ottawa" wrote in message
Hi all,
My wife and I are going to finally start doing some sort or form of
gardening. Aside from flowers and shrubs we decided to try growing some
cherry tomatoes in pots. We bought some plants about 8-12" in hight and
how
are stuck with the now what question? Any tips on what to do with the
plans
after we transplant them into larger pots. Fertilizer etc... needed?
Thanks

No need to repeat what others have said. But, mulch the surface of the soil
with something organic, like lawn grass clippings (from lawn that has NOT
been treated with any pesticides or herbicides). Or, buy a bag of shredded
cedar or hardwood mulch. Achieves two purposes: Helps maintain even
moisture. If tomato plants get dry, and are then watered, and go through
repeated episodes like this, the tomato skins may crack. And, since your
plants will already be at a disadvantage being in pots, they need all the
help they can get. The second purpose for the mulch is so that when the
tomatoes fall off, they'll stay cleaner than if they were on bare soil.

Old 17-05-2005, 03:31 AM
Doug Kanter

"JamesG" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is all just my opinion gathered from my experience. I have been
gardening a while and have never had any luck with potted tomatoes. I
would suggest finding a place to put them in the ground. I know pots
can be done but down here in Texas I think the plants get baked in the
afternoon and never do well. They grow great in the ground. If you
are new to gardening I don't want you to get discouraged by potted
tomatoes.
Good luck and have fun.
James

That's a good reason to go for a pot that looks ridiculously large when it's
empty at the store, and makes you say "Jeez...we don't need one THAT big".
Yeah...you do. It won't dry out as quickly while everyone's at work.