Old 18-05-2005, 04:29 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

Default What does "full sun" really mean?

Does that mean sun for every second the sun is up or does it mean a minimum
amount of sunlight hours?

I just bought a nice Dropmore Scarlett Honeysuckle vine and I want to make
sure I'm planting it in the best spot I can find. If I put it near my patio
(where I would like it to grow on the railings so I can see the hummingbirds
visit) it will get sun for about 10 or 11 hours a day but shade will fall
over it around 6pm until sundown. Is that adequate for optimum growth?

Thx,
Giselle

Old 18-05-2005, 04:47 PM
paghat

In article , "\"Fragile Warrior\" Volfie"
wrote:

Does that mean sun for every second the sun is up or does it mean a minimum
amount of sunlight hours?

It means a minimum of six hours sunlight.

I just bought a nice Dropmore Scarlett Honeysuckle vine and I want to make
sure I'm planting it in the best spot I can find. If I put it near my patio
(where I would like it to grow on the railings so I can see the hummingbirds
visit) it will get sun for about 10 or 11 hours a day but shade will fall
over it around 6pm until sundown. Is that adequate for optimum growth?

Yes.

Yesterday a hummingbird hummed around my head then cruised slowly down the
sideewalk checking out the ninebark blossoms & rhododendrons. We only have
one kind of hummingbird in my zone & this one was smaller & merely brown
so a little surprising; I presume it was a youngster. But it was quite
startling because for a moment I thought I was being divebombed by a giant
moth.

I once saw a not-too-bright hummingbird try to get nectar from cattail
fluff, back up, then try again.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Old 18-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Cereus-validus.....

By definition, vines can never be in "full sun". The plants they grow upon
for support provide some degree of shade, especially during the hottest part
of the day.

Indirect bright sunlight would be more than enough for your plant.

Old 18-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Travis

paghat wrote:
In article , "\"Fragile Warrior\"
Volfie" wrote:

[...]

We have 2 where I live.

http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/species.asp?id=265
http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/species.asp?id=262

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 18-05-2005, 08:24 PM
paghat

In article LXKie.1342$6d.663@trnddc05, "Travis"
wrote:

paghat wrote:
In article , "\"Fragile Warrior\"
Volfie" wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'm still not certain what kind it was since it had no color
beyond brown (though the photos you cite cause the memory instantly to
ammend itself to reddish brown), but must've been the smaller rufus, just
too young to have gotten any red or sheen on her. Maybe I'll see it a few
more times & will be able to be sure. I just love such visits, & a few
years ago started planting lots of hummingbird attractants because
previously they'd hum through & not stay long because they didn't find
enough to their liking.

-paggers
Old 18-05-2005, 08:52 PM

Ideal actually. The hot afternoon sun is no real friend.

Old 19-05-2005, 01:40 AM
Travis

paghat wrote:
In article LXKie.1342$6d.663@trnddc05, "Travis"
wrote:

paghat wrote:
In article , "\"Fragile Warrior\"
Volfie" wrote:

[...]

If you have room the Chilean Fire Tree (Embothrium coccineum) is a great
Hummer attractant and a spectacular blooming tree. They don't get very
wide. They kind of look like a Eucalyptus. There is one in the
Washington Park Arboretum.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 22-05-2005, 10:55 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ideal actually. The hot afternoon sun is no real friend.

Thanks and thanks to everyone who answered. I finally planted it today
after thinking and rethinking the spot.

After all that, I planted it in the spot I originally picked out.

Giselle