Old 20-05-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Texas Gardens

Hi, I live in Sanantonio Texas. I have planted a garden for the first
time in my life. Everything seems to be growing well. My question is,
will my plants reproduce fruit/vegetables all summer into the fall, or
will some die and I will need to plant another crop in the late
summer. I have planted:

beans
peas
cucumbers
zucchini squash
tomatoes
corn on the cob
broccoli

Thanks,
Rodger
Old 20-05-2005, 11:32 PM

Hi, I live in Sanantonio Texas. I have planted a garden for the
first time in my life. Everything seems to be growing well. My
question is, will my plants reproduce fruit/vegetables all summer
into the fall, or will some die and I will need to plant another
crop in the late summer. I have planted:

beans
peas
cucumbers
zucchini squash
tomatoes
corn on the cob
broccoli

You live there and don't know how to write the name of your city
correctly?

Something smells fishy.

Nothing fishy. Just a serious question. I actually live in the greater
Northeast San Antonio. A small city called Schertz. Near Randolph Air
base.

Old 21-05-2005, 01:08 AM
paghat

In article , Wolf Kirchmeir
wrote:

Is there a garden club or horticultural society in San Antonio? What
about the Texas State Agriculture Department? Both are good sources for
the information you seek. If you join the club, you'll also make good
friends. Your local library will also have useful books - just ask.
Librarians may not know the answers, but they are very good at helping
you find them. (Plug - my niece is a librarian in Midland MI).

San Antonio has garden clubs up the wazoo & the point of first contact
would be the San Antonio Botanical Garden and the adjacent San Antonia
Garden Center.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Old 21-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Jim Marrs

Relax,

Some of these people get all bent out of shape about nothing. I live in
Austin your neighbor to the North. Most serious gardeners in this area plan
on having at lease 3 if not 4 gardens. I have a garden for each of the 4
seasons and so can you. Once plants become tired or diseased you replace
them with new ones that will be complemented by the expected weather. Since
you live in San Antonio, you will have only a few really cold days. Buy a
gardening book about Texas gardening and I'm sure you will find out all you
need to know. Gardening is not ROCKET SCIENCE. Don't be afraid to experiment
and fail. Even the most experienced gardeners sometimes don't do the right
thing.

Have Fun
Jim

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 21-05-2005, 02:42 AM
simy1

since no one replied to you... assuming no disease (eg, the squash and
cukes may get borer, or mildew, or both), the broccoli and peas will
certainly stop in the summer. The corn is a one time thing. The beans,
it depends. string beans keep producing for a long time, but shelling
beans come all at once. indeterminate (tall) tomatoes should keep
producing, while determinate (bush) may come all at once. cukes and
squash should continue producing into the fall. At any rate expect some
slowdown, even for continuously producing crops, after the first two
months of harvest.

Old 21-05-2005, 03:09 AM

On 20 May 2005 18:42:20 -0700, "simy1" wrote:

since no one replied to you... assuming no disease (eg, the squash and
cukes may get borer, or mildew, or both), the broccoli and peas will
certainly stop in the summer. The corn is a one time thing. The beans,
it depends. string beans keep producing for a long time, but shelling
beans come all at once. indeterminate (tall) tomatoes should keep
producing, while determinate (bush) may come all at once. cukes and
squash should continue producing into the fall. At any rate expect some
slowdown, even for continuously producing crops, after the first two
months of harvest.

Thanks for the tips. You have been very helpful. Much different that
little child molester who said I smell like fish. SOB should come to
Texas so we can teach him some civility. He is probably just a troll
anyway, looking for your boys on the net.

Old 21-05-2005, 04:34 AM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Jim Marrs wrote:
[...] Even the most experienced gardeners sometimes don't do the right
thing.

And don't I know it!
Old 21-05-2005, 11:27 AM
yippie

On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:28:29 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

Something smells fishy.

you post answers with little knowledge or clarity, that's VERY fishy!
Old 21-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Ann

"Jim Marrs" expounded:

Even the most experienced gardeners sometimes don't do the right
thing.

True - and some of them won't admit it, either! ;-
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 22-05-2005, 03:22 AM
simy1

if I may give you one more tip... broccoli and peas are winter
vegetables for San Antonio. They will take frost and keep on growing
when the weather is milder. They both suffer above 80F. In the summer,
it is best if you stick to heat tolerant veggies (okra and watermelon,
and cowpeas).