Old 22-05-2005, 08:55 PM
nblomgren

Default Holly out of control

We live in middle Tennessee, and have a good-sized holly growing about
four feet from the house. It's roughly spherical, approx 8ft tall and
6ft across. I've just finished trimming it to keep its shape, but
every year it gets bigger and bigger.

To me, it looks like an asteroid that barely missed the house.

I don't think we need to take it out entirely, though that's a
possibility (we took another out about two years ago that was blocking
the front window. We're still dealing with the roots.). Instead, can I
prune it back dramatically to the trunk and a few major branches so
it'll be smaller and have a more natural shape? How long does it
usually take before leaves come in and it looks presentable?

Thanks!

--Nan

Old 22-05-2005, 11:18 PM

Why not root prune it and then move it further from the house?

Old 23-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Walter R.

I have several holly shrubs, about 8 feet tall. They were getting massive
and too close to the house. I pruned them really hard, leaving only a few
leaves. They came back within 3 months, smaller and plusher than before.

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

wrote in message
ups.com...
Why not root prune it and then move it further from the house?

Old 23-05-2005, 03:53 PM
nblomgren

On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:49:48 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

I have several holly shrubs, about 8 feet tall. They were getting massive
and too close to the house. I pruned them really hard, leaving only a few
leaves. They came back within 3 months, smaller and plusher than before.

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

That may be the way to go with this one. It's so dense right now that
the branches inside are bare, with the leaves on the outside like a
skin.

It'll probably look stark for a while, but in the long run would be in
scale with the house and have a more pleasing shape.

Is this the best time of year to do it?

Thanks!

--Nan