Old 23-05-2005, 05:01 AM
jeano

Default --Where can I find Jacaranda Plants/Seeds -

Hello,

I am trying to find a fern like plant.. I believe it is called
Jacaranda. I first saw it in Mexico in the San Luis Potosi State. No
one seems to have heard of it in the states. I have also gone back to
another region of Mexico and have asked about it and no one knew what I
was talking about. Also would this plant be considered a tropical
plant? Live in the Midwest and am wondering if I would need to bring
it in during the winters. Would this plant be started as seedlings or
cuttings?

Thanks,

Jeano

Old 23-05-2005, 05:35 AM
howNEWS

I am trying to find a fern like plant.. I believe it is called
Jacaranda. I first saw it in Mexico in the San Luis Potosi State.
Also would this plant be considered a tropical
plant? Live in the Midwest and am wondering if I would need to bring
it in during the winters.
snips

Hi,
If this is the plant you are looking for
http://images.google.com/images?q=Ja...ff&sa=N&tab=wi
then it is a "ferny" looking tropical tree (Jacaranda mimosifolia) and won't
do well in the Midwest.
Seeds are available on Ebay.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 23-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Travis

jeano wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to find a fern like plant.. I believe it is called
Jacaranda. I first saw it in Mexico in the San Luis Potosi State.
No one seems to have heard of it in the states. I have also gone
back to another region of Mexico and have asked about it and no one
knew what I was talking about. Also would this plant be considered
a tropical plant? Live in the Midwest and am wondering if I would
need to bring it in during the winters. Would this plant be
started as seedlings or cuttings?

Thanks,

Jeano

Google is your friend.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 23-05-2005, 10:39 AM

I bought my seeds from Thompson and Morgan and www.seedrack.com last
2000.
The plants are now small trees.

Old 23-05-2005, 01:03 PM
JC

I bought my seeds from Thompson and Morgan and
www.seedrack.com last
2000.
The plants are now small trees.

X-No-Archive:yes

Where are you located? Full grown Jacaranda trees are beautiful - the
entrance to the Jacaranda Country Club in Plantation Florida is lined
with them and they are magnificent.

Old 23-05-2005, 06:04 PM
jeano

I unfortunaly live outside Chicago. I have a little greenhouse window.
I am sure Jacaranda can not withstand the harsh climate. I didn"t
realize jacarandas grew to be trees. The ones I saw were small. Now I
am going to make it a point to visit Plantation Florida to see the
Jacaranda trees. I have visited our local botanical gardens which have
an indoor tropical display, but they did not have jacaranda trees as
part of their plant collection. Thank you for the info on the country
club.

jean