Old 03-07-2003, 06:44 PM
spider

Default Another Daylily Question

What would cause a daylily not to bloom?
I have plant in my yard that looks like a Daylily, the roots look right, the
leaves look like Daylily fans,the darn
thing gets mostly shade and never blooms but it comes up every spring. Any
one have an idea what it is?

Old 03-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Travis

spider wrote:
What would cause a daylily not to bloom?
I have plant in my yard that looks like a Daylily, the roots
look right, the leaves look like Daylily fans,the darn
thing gets mostly shade and never blooms but it comes up every
spring. Any one have an idea what it is?

It needs more sun.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 03-07-2003, 08:56 PM
antonious

"spider" wrote in message
What would cause a daylily not to bloom?
I have plant in my yard that looks like a Daylily, the roots look right,

the
leaves look like Daylily fans,the darn
thing gets mostly shade and never blooms but it comes up every spring. Any
one have an idea what it is?

Try relocating to a location that gets more sun... Could also be a symptom
of too much nitrogen in the soil... Most likely too little sun.

Old 03-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Joseph Meehan

Also remember that they don't all bloom in the summer, some spring and
some fall.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 04-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Bobby Baxter

I woul consider daylilies to be summer bloomers, not spring or fall
bloomers. Some bloom earlier than others, some bloom later, and many repeat
throughout the season.

Daylilies need sun, sun, sun. Also, if it is in the shade then it probably
is not getting enough water. Sun and water!!!!

Bobby

--
Bobby Baxter
TheGardenSite.com

TheGardenSite.com: http://thegardensite.com
Daylily Gardens Of The World: http://daylily.net/gardens
Gardens Of The World: http://thegardensite.com/gardens
Iris Gardens Of The World: http://thegardensite.com/irises
Daylily.Net: http://daylily.net
GardenTalk Forum: http://thegardensite.com/gardentalk/

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Barbara Yanus

More sun is my feeling exactly....I just moved two of mine that were in the
shade and hadn't bloomed for two years. They are now in afternoon sun, and
I don't think I will see them bloom this year, it would be nice if they did.
I can tell from all the ones that I have, (atleast 30 different one), that
the ones that seem to get more sun, are the first ones to bloom...makes
sense right?

Bebra
NE PA
Zone 6B

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Barbara Yanus

I would say...get it out of the shade. I have two that I just moved because
of the same problem. I don' tthink that I will see blooms this year, but
hopefully next. They were in full shade, now they will be in afternoon sun.
I noticed my other daylilies that are getting more sun, now have buds on
them and some are even blooming.

Bebra
NE PA
zone 6B

Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Bob

"spider" wrote in message ...
What would cause a daylily not to bloom?
I have plant in my yard that looks like a Daylily, the roots look right, the
leaves look like Daylily fans,the darn
thing gets mostly shade and never blooms but it comes up every spring. Any
one have an idea what it is?

I have daylilies in five different miniclimates. The patch beside the
house burst out with 10 blooms on July 5 and the next warmest patch
followed with more blooms than usual the next day; of the line of
lilies shaded by an east facing fence, only one has sent up a stalk,
though they have bloomed previous years. I am in Toronto where we had
a cold winter and a wet spring.

[IMG] code is On

Daylily Art - Daylily-Cutaway_WEB.jpg (1/2) Suzie-Q[_3_] Garden Photos 2 12-07-2013 09:59 PM
Daylily Macros - DAYLILY-1.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 11-07-2013 01:07 PM
Daylily question Natty Dread Gardening 4 27-05-2005 02:18 PM
daylily question J. Davidson Gardening 2 14-05-2005 06:10 PM