Old 29-05-2005, 01:01 AM
MaryJoL

Default Hosta question

I was at a baby shower and they had hostas planted in the front of the
building. I have never seen such big leaves on a hosta. they were enormous!
They didn't know the name of the hosta. does anyone know of any varieties of
hostas with such big leaves, and if you do, where I can buy them? Thanks for
any help...

Old 29-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Since there are literally hundreds of large leafed Hosta cultivars in a wide
range of colors and you didn't describe the plant in any detail, it could be
anything.

Let us know what you find.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/index.html

news

Old 29-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Andrew Ostrander

The largest site I know of for hosta varieties is www.plantdelights.com .
You can browse their pages.

Andrew

news

Old 29-05-2005, 02:09 AM
Vox Humana

"MaryJoL" wrote in message
news
I was at a baby shower and they had hostas planted in the front of the
building. I have never seen such big leaves on a hosta. they were

enormous!
They didn't know the name of the hosta. does anyone know of any varieties

of
hostas with such big leaves, and if you do, where I can buy them? Thanks

for
any help...

There are many large hostas. One of the more common large ones in this are
is "Sum and Substance." Elegans can also be large. Although the individual
leaves are not huge, I have a Krosa Regal that is enormous - over four feet
high and about five feet across. Hostas tend to reach a mature size and
form if left alone (that is, not divided) for more than five years.

Old 29-05-2005, 03:25 PM
MaryJoL

Hi and thanks for the responses to my question about the large leafed hosta
that I saw. I should have specified that I didn't care what variety of hosta
I wanted, I just wanted to buy any type of hosta as long as it had very
large leaves like the one I saw. thanks for the information you gave me. I
will look at the sites you suggested and maybe find one there..thanks again!
news

Old 30-05-2005, 02:11 AM
Bobby Baxter

The Hosta Library that was referenced is an excellent resource.

The most popular of the giant leaf hostas is 'Sum And Substance'.

I have several clients that have hosta websites so you may wish to check my
hosta links at http://thegardensite.com. I also sponsor two hosta forums
where you may find more information from hostafiles.

Bobby

Old 31-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Gary

This thread reminds me of another question I have about hostas. I have
a bed of hostas on my property line. About two weeks ago, my neighbor
replaced his privacy fence and in the process of applying preservative
to the new wood, some over-spray drifted onto the leaves of my hosta
plants. I think he used some kind of oil-based stain on his fence,
although I'm not sure exactly what it was.
So far, the leaves look ok, although they are obviously spotted with
the preservative. Does anyone know if this will cause any permanent
damage to the plants? It seems to me that hostas may put up only one
set of leaves per season, so I doubt that any new leaves will appear.
Thanks for any info you might have.
Gary

Old 31-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Vox Humana

"Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
This thread reminds me of another question I have about hostas. I have
a bed of hostas on my property line. About two weeks ago, my neighbor
replaced his privacy fence and in the process of applying preservative
to the new wood, some over-spray drifted onto the leaves of my hosta
plants. I think he used some kind of oil-based stain on his fence,
although I'm not sure exactly what it was.
So far, the leaves look ok, although they are obviously spotted with
the preservative. Does anyone know if this will cause any permanent
damage to the plants? It seems to me that hostas may put up only one
set of leaves per season, so I doubt that any new leaves will appear.
Thanks for any info you might have.
Gary

I doubt that it will cause any problem. I have splashed oil base deck stain
on hostas without any consequences. I find that hostas tend to grow in
three stages over the year. the first stage consists of sending up new
leaves in the spring, predominately from the periphery of the plant. These
leaves mature and then the stems elongate somewhat, opening the center of
the plant. After that, new growth emerges from the center of the plant.
Towards fall, there is new growth at the outside edge of the hosta. That is
my observation, but others may have a better understanding. I do think that
if you cut off all the leaves, new ones would emerge.

Old 31-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Merle O'Broham

Agreed. I think you can do just about anything to them and they'll
bounch back. It's still early in the year. I've had mine run over by
car, bike, and 3 year old, apparently made love to by neighborhood
cats, raccoons, squirrels, and accidently hit with driveway asphalt
sealer amongst other things including my 18 mo. old "watering" them
personally. God bless 'em hostas.

Vox Humana wrote:
ups.com...

Old 31-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Ann

"MaryJoL" expounded:

I was at a baby shower and they had hostas planted in the front of the
building. I have never seen such big leaves on a hosta. they were enormous!
They didn't know the name of the hosta. does anyone know of any varieties of
hostas with such big leaves, and if you do, where I can buy them? Thanks for
any help...

Were they lighter green? Sum and Substance is very large-leafed.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 02-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Gary

Thanks, Vox & Merle for your replies. Sounds like my hostas will be
just fine. I didn't realize they were such tough plants.
Regards,
Gary

Old 03-06-2005, 05:11 AM
Romy Beeck

Talk about being tough.My friend told me he cuts them off at the end of the
fall with his lawn mower and they come back biger in the spring.

oups.com...

Old 03-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Vox Humana

"Romy Beeck" wrote in message
Talk about being tough.My friend told me he cuts them off at the end of

the
fall with his lawn mower and they come back biger in the spring.

They always come back bigger in the spring.

[IMG] code is On

What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (0/1) Big Time Gardening 18 14-06-2004 12:03 AM
What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (1/1) Big Time Gardening 6 11-06-2004 02:02 AM
Another Hosta question... HA HA Budys Here Gardening 0 24-05-2004 04:03 AM
Hosta question junkyardcat Gardening 2 19-08-2003 02:12 AM
Hosta Question Richard Grant Gardening 10 29-05-2003 08:56 AM