Old 19-06-2005, 03:49 AM
Grey-hound

Default Peach tree has flaky light bluish green moss growing on it.

I live in East of Tampa FL and my 5 year old Peach tree that for the first
time I can see 6 little peaches growing on it has a lot of flaky light
bluish green moss or something growing on it. I have seen it also growing on
other mostly oaks. Is this healthy? The tree is in an open area that gets
70% sunlight during the day. What can be done about it? Also there is grass
growing around the base of the tree-should I remove this?
Thanks
Greyhound

Old 20-06-2005, 03:34 AM

You will get higher yeilds with mulch instead of turf around the
dripline of your fruit tree, just be sure to pull it back a few inches
from the trunk.
Also remember to thin a good hands breadth apart. This year I bet it
can handle all six of the peaches you see but in the future make sure
to thin them.
The lichen on your tree is no real problem.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:37 AM
Suzy O

The "flaky" stuff is probably lichens, a combination of moss and algae. I
wouldn't worry a bit about that, as it's quite common and doesn't grow on
trees where the air quality is poor.

About the grass at the base of the tree, however --- it's never a good idea
to grow ANYTHING under the canopy of trees as it outcompetes the tree for
water and nutrients. Better to remove the grass and replace with an organic
mulch.

Suzy O in Wisconsin, Zone 5