Old 13-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Grey-hound

Default Peach tree growing problems

Greetings,
4 years ago we planted (did not fo any soil prep) a peach tree. We live in
Tampa FL so the soil is sort of sandy. Ever since it seems that the tree
does not grow but does bloom some (has not bore any fruit). I guess my soil
is the problem. What can I do without removing the tree that will help it
along? Also there are a lot of small branches that have formed. Any idea on
pruning/trimming my 7 foot tree that is about 4 feet wide?
Thanks
Greyhound
Tampa, FL

Old 13-04-2004, 04:02 PM
FarmerDill

Greetings,
4 years ago we planted (did not fo any soil prep) a peach tree. We live in
Tampa FL so the soil is sort of sandy. Ever since it seems that the tree
does not grow but does bloom some (has not bore any fruit). I guess my soil
is the problem. What can I do without removing the tree that will help it
along? Also there are a lot of small branches that have formed. Any idea on
pruning/trimming my 7 foot tree that is about 4 feet wide?
Thanks
Greyhound
Tampa, FL

Hopefully you have a Florida peach. Tampa is too far south for standard
cultivars. They are usually pretty easy to grow, but are susceptible to insect
damage. A couple of tfruit tree fertilizer spikes wouldn't hurt and might help.
As for pruning, I just take out a few middle branches so that each branch gets
full sunlight.

Old 14-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Janice

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:22:51 GMT, "Grey-hound"
wrote:

Greetings,
4 years ago we planted (did not fo any soil prep) a peach tree. We live in
Tampa FL so the soil is sort of sandy. Ever since it seems that the tree
does not grow but does bloom some (has not bore any fruit). I guess my soil
is the problem. What can I do without removing the tree that will help it
along? Also there are a lot of small branches that have formed. Any idea on
pruning/trimming my 7 foot tree that is about 4 feet wide?
Thanks
Greyhound
Tampa, FL

What variety is the peach tree? Is it a standard, semi-dwarft, or
dwarf, or genetic dwarf peach tree? Is it one bought locally, or mail
order. Otherwise is it a peach developed for your area, versus one
from the north that expects a proper cold winter? I know there are
"Georgia Peaches" but I don't know what part of Georgia, or what the
winter weather is like in Georgia, how cold it gets there versus where
you are in Florida.

Generally, there are many regional differences and you say your soil
is "sort of sandy" .. that mean that it's almost all sand? How close
is the tree to salt water?

There are many variables, and it's kind of hard to give any solid
suggestions without information. Does the ground remain moist or dry
out a lot? I have a volunteer peach in my front yard that I couldn't
get to or it would have been gone, it kind of stayed small for a
couple years, and then a friend dug a trench to get water over to it,
it greened right up and started growing taller and wider, and set more
and larger fruit! So, while the trees don't like wet feet, they like
adequate water to live and grow well and set a crop.

Also, although most peaches are self fruitful, meaning they can
pollinate themselves, there may be some which need another peach or at
least a nectarine to cross pollinate with.

The suggestions of compost over the ground out to the drip line or a
bit further out an inch or two deep. Compost, not manure.

Janice