Old 19-06-2005, 04:59 PM
higgledy

Default tomato blooms falling off

I planted several varieties of tomato plants this year, 5 plants total.
I used Osomacote slow release fertilizer. All seem to do well, most are
not growing all that well, I think due to the cold spring. Anyway, one
plant has many blosoms, but as soon as the bloom wilts the blossom
falls off with no tomato left behind. The other plants have several
blooms but none have yet developed into a tomato. I do not think that I
over-fertilized because these plants are not tall, nor bushy, nor
yellowed. They seem to be non-fruit bearing?? I have tiny peppers and
tiny cucmbers forming but my tomato plants are going no where.

Old 19-06-2005, 08:44 PM

Nightime temperatures below 60?
That'll do it.

Old 19-06-2005, 09:20 PM
higgledy

That is it then. Last night temp was in the 50's. Dam, I am not in love
90 degree days but I like tomatos more.

Old 20-06-2005, 02:02 PM
John McKay

Blossom-end-rot is caused by a lack of calcium in the soil. The plant
however, can be doused or sprayed with calcium such as Dragon. This
should supply enough calcium to get you thru this season

John

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:33:47 -0500, Lar
wrote:

In article .com,
says...
I planted several varieties of tomato plants this year, 5 plants total.
I used Osomacote slow release fertilizer. All seem to do well, most are
not growing all that well, I think due to the cold spring. Anyway, one
plant has many blosoms, but as soon as the bloom wilts the blossoms

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/blossom.htm
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Old 20-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Jean B.

higgledy wrote:

That is it then. Last night temp was in the 50's. Dam, I am not in love
90 degree days but I like tomatos more.

D--n! I was seeing the same thing. Mebbe I should take the plants in
at night. :-(((((

--
Jean B.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:06 AM

Try gently shaking the tomato plant, and also try "finger flicking" the
tomato blossoms. I do that in the late Spring and whether it works
better than doing nothing, who knows! Haven't killed a plant by doing
so (yet). Some varities just drop blossoms no matter what. I grow
some delicious (beefsteak) every year and have a ton of blossom drop,
just the way it is.

As to BER - many think that the belief that calcium deficincy being the
cause isn't true. NOT doing anything to a plant that has BER will
have the BER go away. Neighbor of mine usually has it every year
(plants very early), does nothing and the BER goes away on the later
tomatoes. PS - he had a soil test done and the calcium levels were on
the high range and oh did he have the BER on the early tomatoes (very
cold/wet Spring 3 years? back).

Old 01-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Aspasia

On 30 Jun 2005 19:06:32 -0700, wrote:

Try gently shaking the tomato plant, and also try "finger flicking" the
tomato blossoms. I do that in the late Spring and whether it works
better than doing nothing, who knows! Haven't killed a plant by doing
so (yet). Some varities just drop blossoms no matter what. I grow
some delicious (beefsteak) every year and have a ton of blossom drop,
just the way it is.

As to BER - many think that the belief that calcium deficincy being the
cause isn't true. NOT doing anything to a plant that has BER will
have the BER go away. Neighbor of mine usually has it every year
(plants very early), does nothing and the BER goes away on the later
tomatoes. PS - he had a soil test done and the calcium levels were on
the high range and oh did he have the BER on the early tomatoes (very
cold/wet Spring 3 years? back).

This whole blossom end rot business if vexing.

Two years ago, I had tomatoes out the kazoo; so many I had to re-learn
how to can.

Last year, I had BER out the kazoo. Beaucoup blossoms; zip tomatoes. I
was advised to buy blossom spray, applied it, with zilch results.

This year, I have so many tomatoes ripening, I'll have to can again.

Same varieties of seeds -- sent by an internet friend from Canada.

Same conditions -- I didn't change anything in the soil, nor
my watering pattern. (We did have heavier rains in So.Cal.
in "winter"/spring, but why would that matter?)

Bewildering, indeed.

--

Aspasia