Old 21-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Default cardinals

Hi the

A friend (who doesn't use newsgroups) was telling me that she has trouble
with female cardinals continuously flying into her house windows. One
particular bird even goes so far as to walk around the house and try to
methodically get into all her windows. She is doubtful that window decals
will work.

At least one male bird is always around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sally

Old 21-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Angrie.Woman

Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:
Hi the

A friend (who doesn't use newsgroups) was telling me that she has trouble
with female cardinals continuously flying into her house windows. One
particular bird even goes so far as to walk around the house and try to
methodically get into all her windows. She is doubtful that window decals
will work.

At least one male bird is always around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sally

Why is she doubtful that window decals will work?

Old 21-06-2005, 04:56 PM
KD

Angrie.Woman wrote:
Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:
Hi the

A friend (who doesn't use newsgroups) was telling me that she has trouble
with female cardinals continuously flying into her house windows. One
particular bird even goes so far as to walk around the house and try to
methodically get into all her windows. She is doubtful that window decals
will work.

At least one male bird is always around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sally

Why is she doubtful that window decals will work?

Well, it doesn't look as though the birds are all accidentally smucking
into the windows. At least some are making a concentrated effort to get
in for some reason. Doubtful that decals would work if that were the
case.

Sorry I don't have any solutions to offer Sally!

KD

Old 21-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Angrie.Woman

KD wrote:

Angrie.Woman wrote:

Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:

Hi the

A friend (who doesn't use newsgroups) was telling me that she has trouble
with female cardinals continuously flying into her house windows. One
particular bird even goes so far as to walk around the house and try to
methodically get into all her windows. She is doubtful that window decals
will work.

At least one male bird is always around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sally

Why is she doubtful that window decals will work?

Well, it doesn't look as though the birds are all accidentally smucking
into the windows. At least some are making a concentrated effort to get
in for some reason. Doubtful that decals would work if that were the
case.

I think that the hawk shadow decals would be a deterrent no matter the
motivations.

Old 21-06-2005, 05:15 PM
KD

Oh, sorry. I thought you just meant something that would show that
there was glass there and it wasn't just open air for them to fly into.

KD

Old 22-06-2005, 02:13 AM
William Brown

That's interesting. We've had males that spent hours fighting with
their reflections in the window, or the mirror on the car, but I've not
seen females exhibit that behavior.

I know females of some species are protective of nesting areas (falcons,
for example); I wonder if that applies to female cardinals? She could
be defending her place from her reflection.

Old 23-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Cereus-validus.....

She should feed them regularly. Like every day.

If she didn't feed them, they wouldn't be coming around expecting food.

.. .

Old 17-07-2005, 10:07 PM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:13:26 -0400, William Brown
wrote:

That's interesting. We've had males that spent hours fighting with
their reflections in the window, or the mirror on the car, but I've not
seen females exhibit that behavior.

I know females of some species are protective of nesting areas (falcons,
for example); I wonder if that applies to female cardinals? She could
be defending her place from her reflection.

I've seen females battling their reflection in my car windows and
mirrors, and even on the hood.

Main problem there is that they perch on the car while doing this,
leaving little white trails all over the side mirrors and doors.

Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:

Hi the

A friend (who doesn't use newsgroups) was telling me that she has trouble
with female cardinals continuously flying into her house windows. One
particular bird even goes so far as to walk around the house and try to
methodically get into all her windows. She is doubtful that window decals
will work.

At least one male bird is always around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sally

Swyck