Old 31-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Tony Sivori

Default How Often Can I Apply Epsom Salts for Blue Spruce?

I have read on these newsgroups that one teaspoon of Epsom salt mixed in a
gallon of water will help blue evergreens to be extra blue. I apply the
teaspoon of Epsom salt dissolved in a gallon of water, then I water
generously. It does work, they are nice and blue.

My question is how often can I apply the Epsom salts to small (young) blue
spruce bushes without overdoing it?

--
Tony Sivori

Old 31-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:33:01 -0400, Tony Sivori
wrote:

I have read on these newsgroups that one teaspoon of Epsom salt mixed in a
gallon of water will help blue evergreens to be extra blue. I apply the
teaspoon of Epsom salt dissolved in a gallon of water, then I water
generously. It does work, they are nice and blue.

My question is how often can I apply the Epsom salts to small (young) blue
spruce bushes without overdoing it?

Couple times a year. Magnesium is good for most plants, just like
iron is good for animals. Without small amounts, living things die.

Old 31-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Sunflower

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news
I have read on these newsgroups that one teaspoon of Epsom salt mixed in a
gallon of water will help blue evergreens to be extra blue. I apply the
teaspoon of Epsom salt dissolved in a gallon of water, then I water
generously. It does work, they are nice and blue.

My question is how often can I apply the Epsom salts to small (young) blue
spruce bushes without overdoing it?

--
Tony Sivori

What does your soil test tell you about the magnesium level of your soil?
Without knowing that, you shouldn't be applying epsom salts at all. Many
areas of the country already have almost toxic proportions of magnesium
present in the soil, and continually adding more will end up poisoning the
plants and the soil.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Tony Sivori

Sunflower wrote:

What does your soil test tell you about the magnesium level of your
soil? Without knowing that, you shouldn't be applying epsom salts at
all. Many areas of the country already have almost toxic proportions of
magnesium present in the soil, and continually adding more will end up
poisoning the plants and the soil.

Where can I get a soil test? Does Home Depot sell them and how much are
they?

--
Tony Sivori

Old 02-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Sunflower

Sunflower wrote:

What does your soil test tell you about the magnesium level of your
soil? Without knowing that, you shouldn't be applying epsom salts at
all. Many areas of the country already have almost toxic proportions of
magnesium present in the soil, and continually adding more will end up
poisoning the plants and the soil.

Where can I get a soil test? Does Home Depot sell them and how much are
they?

--
Tony Sivori

Any kind of do it yourself test on soil other than pH is extremely
unreliable. Your local county agricultural extension service provides
testing for cheap or free as part of the things you purchase with your tax
dollars. (Unless you are willing to pay a soil testing company about $20 to
do the same thing.) Why do you think farmers have been using the extension
service for years? They have to know what's in their soil in order to make
a living, and it's money out of their profits if they apply too much or not
enough of any of the plant's needed nutrients.. Follow the extension
service's recommendations, and test several areas of your yard. 1.
Completely unamended soil, like was there before you ever did a thing. 2. A
well amended garden bed. 3. Your lawn. Testing these 3 at a minimum will
give you an idea of what your naitive soil is composed of, as well as what
your garden beds have become, and testing the lawn is a must if you actually
want to grow grass successfully. The extension service can give you the
recommended amendments in either chemical or organic components, or a mix of
both, whatever your personal philosophy might be.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Sunflower

Sunflower wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

A dose of Epsom salts can help lilac bush to flower (plantman article) Earl@Greenwood Gardening 1 27-07-2005 03:46 AM
[IBC] Epsom salts Samuel Gomez Bonsai 13 20-10-2003 08:12 AM
[IBC] Superthrive (was [IBC] Epsom salts Anita Hawkins Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 05:42 PM
How much epsom salts for a sick pumpkin? Ednews United Kingdom 12 29-05-2003 05:24 AM
Epsom Salts??? Abra Myers Orchids 5 13-02-2003 07:25 AM