Old 05-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Bharat P. Baliga-Savel

Default Problem with Sprinkler zone (need help)

folks:

am having a problem with one zone (of the two) in my backyard. The pressure
in the bad zone is bad. turning on this zone either through the timer or the
bleed valve results in the same low pressure.

the other zone in the back yard is OK. so the pipes must be OK.

this zone has 5-6 sprinklers: so i removed all the heads one by one, and then
turned on the zone, and then turned it off to remove any obstruction in the
pipe. this did not help.

i then kept all the heads on, and turned on the zone for about 30min. to see
if there was any leaks. to the best of my knowledge, i did not see any
localized flooding.

so i am lost. one of the websites now says check diaphram/solenoid/etc. etc.
based on what i've mentioned, can i eliminate the underground pipes/sprinkler
heads?

i checked the repair kits at the local hardware store. a diaphram/solenoid
each goes for $7.00, while a sprinkler valve cost $13.00. would you suggest
just replacing the valve?

tia
=b
Bharat P. Baliga-Savel Cisco Systems Inc./STG
--
In the force, if yoda is strong, talk straight why can't he?
Old 14-07-2005, 01:51 AM

Question, did you ever have proper presure in the zone? Or in other
waords, was it designed properly? Depending on the type of heads and
the available flow, you could be trying to feed too many heads. So if
it used to work, then the number of heads is not the main problem.

I would take the valve apart (in place) and check for sand in the
diaphram (this happend to me before I installed a sand separator for my
well).

Also, most sprinklers have some built in filter that can trap deposits
that may limit the flow, so they can be checked...

For impluse sprinklers, once in a while I have seen a partial
obstruction at the nozzle causing a problem... but in your case it
would be coincidence that all heads have a bit of something on the
nozzle.