Old 10-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Lobo

Default iris, why cut leaves?

Why do we cut the leaves into a fan on iris when we dig and divide them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 11-07-2005, 02:19 AM
Bourne Identity

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:56:40 -0600, "Lobo"
wrote:

Why do we cut the leaves into a fan on iris when we dig and divide them?

It's done to neaten them up, no other reason.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:59 AM
B & J

wrote:

Why do we cut the leaves into a fan on iris when we dig and divide them?

It's done to neaten them up, no other reason.

I also do it to control iris leaf spot. When I'm cutting back the leaves, I
also clean up all the dead leaf debris and spent flower stems from and
around the iris.

JPS

Old 11-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Derryl

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:59:58 -0500, "B & J"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Why do we cut the leaves into a fan on iris when we dig and divide them?

It's done to neaten them up, no other reason.

I also do it to control iris leaf spot. When I'm cutting back the leaves, I
also clean up all the dead leaf debris and spent flower stems from and
around the iris.

JPS

I cut Irises back to a fan when Transplanting. This reduces the leaf
area so that the roots (disturbed) can feed the tops.

Derryl
Old 11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
David Ross

Lobo wrote:

Why do we cut the leaves into a fan on iris when we dig and divide them?

The roots are damaged in the process of digging and dividing. I
cut the leaves to reduce the demand on the roots for moisture. For
the same reason, I reduce the number of leaves on a shoot when I
take cuttings of other plants.

Also, my iris leaves sometimes grow quite long. I trim them when
dividing to keep the replanted rhizomes from tipping over since the
reduced roots cannot hold such a large plant upright.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Iridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded irisIridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded iris Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 01-02-2009 10:24 PM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM