Old 18-07-2005, 05:40 PM
TomKan

Default Hollyhock questions.

Do they bloom more than once?
Are the seed pods capable of being planted? If so, when should they be
harvested and how do you keep them until the next year?
Will the seeds from a black bloom hollyhock produce black bloom plants?

Old 18-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message .com,
TomKan writes
Do they bloom more than once?

Yes. But not reliably. It depends on your conditions.
Are the seed pods capable of being planted? If so, when should they be
harvested and how do you keep them until the next year?

It'd make more sense to sow the individual mericarps (which are usually
treated as seeds) or even to extract the seeds from the mericarps. The
mericarps can be collected when the fruits have dried out on the plant,
and may be stored by keeping them cool and dry (e.g. in a sealed
contained in a refrigerator - not a freezer).

Will the seeds from a black bloom hollyhock produce black bloom plants?

Some of the time. (I bought a supposed black hollyhock this spring, and
the first flower has opened pastel pink with a soft yellow centre.) If
you grow black hollyhocks distant from other hollyhocks I'd guess that
they'd come reasonably true to seed - there's plenty of strains of black
hollyhock seed on the market. If you grow them near other hollyhocks (of
the same species) then it's likely to be a case of pot luck.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info
Old 18-07-2005, 07:08 PM
paghat

In article .com,
"TomKan" wrote:

Do they bloom more than once?

They bloom through a long season (all summer at least) then as bienniels
are done with life.

Are the seed pods capable of being planted?

The seeds out of the pods can be planted. To get the most plants, start
them indoors about six weeks before the last frost, & plant them where
wanted after last frost. They can also be planted in the autumn right
where you want them to develop. Fewer will survive that way, but there'll
be more than enough seed so it won't matter. First-year foliage will
appear early the following spring, & each plant will flower a year after
that.

Occasionally they don't bloom until their third year but it is only rarely
they grow back for a second year of flowering because once they've
developed seeds they've finished their lifecycle (rarely they bloom for
one more year if their stalks were taken as cut flowers & never finished
going to seed). To have them perpetually requires replanting them from
seed. In a large enough bed they might self-seed so well it won't be
necessary to think about them, they just naturally reseed, but for crowded
beds of limited size it takes specific planning.

They produce vastly more flowers when grown from seed because they develop
quite a large root system their first year & multiple flower stalks their
second year. Buying them as second-year bedding plants getting ready to
bloom their first summer in the ground often results in only one stalk of
flowers.

If so, when should they be
harvested

A seed pod remains when the petals drop loose. When it darkens & looks
like its about to crack open, its ripe, take the pod then. The stalks
flower for a long period, & the seeds are ripening over the same long
period.

and how do you keep them until the next year?

The dried seed can be stored in a dark cool spot for months on end if need be.

Will the seeds from a black bloom hollyhock produce black bloom plants?

Yes.

If you want hollyhock-like flowers that don't need to be replanted for
two-year cycles, check out tree mallows & rose-of-sharon hibiscuses.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 18-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Warren

paghat wrote:
Do they bloom more than once?

They bloom through a long season (all summer at least) then as bienniels
are done with life.

Mine started to bloom about a week or two ago. They usually keep their
blooms until fall, with some surviving until winter.

The first year I cut-down some dead stalks, but haven't since. Those same
stalks that were there four years ago are blooming now, as well as new
stalks growing off the same root mass just below the surface. There are only
a couple of stalks that are growing off of their own root masses that
weren't here four years ago.

At first I was a little disappointed that they weren't acting like
biennials. I had plans for the area they were planted. But I've changed my
mind, and I'm working around them now. I'd feel funny about killing-off
something that's supposed to be a biennial, but has been blooming for at
least four years now.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 20-07-2005, 09:53 AM
presley

hollyhocks are actually weak perennials, usually treated as biennials partly
because they occasionally die out after the second year. However, they are
very susceptible to rust disease and generally look REALLY crappy their
third year, as well as blooming poorly, so it's best to allow the seedlings
which come up very prolifically all around their bases to replace them, and
just yank the third year plants up out of the ground.
"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article .com,
"TomKan" wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Stubborn Hollyhock James Watt Gardening 3 28-08-2004 07:11 PM
Hollyhock Transplanting KJFK Gardening 3 27-06-2004 01:02 AM
Very tall hollyhock stuart noble United Kingdom 5 10-08-2003 11:13 AM
Very tall hollyhock stuart noble United Kingdom 0 04-08-2003 09:12 AM
Hollyhock`s Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 29-06-2003 11:56 AM