Old 02-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Phoenix Arizona

Default need to know about polinating corn

hey all,
im hoping someone will help me here,
im in Phoenix Arizona and i planted my garden a few months ago i
planted corn last year and it polinated itself, but a few corns didnt
have anything on them and a friend had said i should of pulled off the
tassles but im not sure what he means
i have about 4 - 6ft rows of corn
what does other corn growers do??
Old 03-05-2003, 02:45 AM
SwimFan

Don't pull the tassels off. If you have 4 - 6 ft rows your corn will
pollinate just fine. It sound like last year's crop may have
experienced dry conditions when it was shedding pollen. That can be one
cause of barren ears.

Old 05-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Die Spammer !!!

Phoenix Arizona wrote:

hey all,
im hoping someone will help me here,
im in Phoenix Arizona and i planted my garden a few months ago i
planted corn last year and it polinated itself, but a few corns didnt
have anything on them and a friend had said i should of pulled off the
tassles but im not sure what he means
i have about 4 - 6ft rows of corn
what does other corn growers do??

I think that the professional corn growers do nothing. the fields are too
big to do anything. they let the wind help pollinate. if you have a small
crop you might help the pollination by lightly tapping the tassle so the
pollin will fall into the rest of the ears where its suppose to go. this
is what I read somewhere on the internet. I think tapping once a day foir
a week would do the trick.

Old 05-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Phoenix Arizona

thats what i did last year i just shook the corn plant.. i thought i
did good but another friend told me to pull off the tassles i was
wondering why.. that didnt sound right to me
thank you both for replying to me

Dean