Old 14-05-2006, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Default blueberry not polinating....

aftr much discussion here, I planted a Northland blueberry bush in a
pot. It has produced lots of flowers, but none have resulted in fruit -
they are starting to go brown and drop off. It is too early for the bees
etc to be out of their beds doing their work, or could it be that the
pot it right next to another which has loads of mint in it ? Could the
scent be keeping the bees ect away ?

(I know its recommended to have two species of blueberry bush near each
other for cross polination - but I dont have room. I have been assured
that one bush should be more than capable of producing lots of fruit)
Old 14-05-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"NC" wrote in message
news
aftr much discussion here, I planted a Northland blueberry bush in a
pot. It has produced lots of flowers, but none have resulted in fruit -
they are starting to go brown and drop off. It is too early for the bees
etc to be out of their beds doing their work, or could it be that the
pot it right next to another which has loads of mint in it ? Could the
scent be keeping the bees ect away ?

(I know its recommended to have two species of blueberry bush near each
other for cross polination - but I dont have room. I have been assured
that one bush should be more than capable of producing lots of fruit)

The flowers may well have dropped, because the plant was growing
under more amenable conditions last autumn. Changing any plant's
habitat and conditions, either in terms of climate, or disturbing
the roots may well will act as a check on the flowering and fruiting
cycle. And so you can't expect normal performance under such
circumstances, until the plant has had a chance to settle down.
Give it at least a year.

michael adams

Old 14-05-2006, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

michael adams wrote:
"NC" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ok - thanks. I didn;t expect fruit this year - but with the number of
flowers that appeared, I was gettign my hopes up !
Old 14-05-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Steve Harris wrote:
At this point in time, I would be hard pressed to say if mine had
pollinated correctly or not. It should be fairly clear by early July.

Indeed. I wondered and went to see mine. Still lots of flowers. I think
if the OP's flowers have all gone brown it's because the plant has
suffered water shortage. They need lots and lots of water. My pots have
about 10cm of mulch!!! Also if they have been moved about as it's the
case it's probable that they'll need settling. Last year they fruited
earlier but this year everything seems to be slower.

Old 15-05-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

What is the pH of the soil in the pot that contains the blueberry? They
prefer 4.5, but will produce at 6 or below. If it gets very much higher
than 7.5 the plants could die. I'm not sure if that is what got mine, but
they all died within 2 years and our pH here is 7 to 7.5. I tried to amend
it but didn't have much luck.

Dwayne (in Kansas)

news