Old 19-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Stubby

Default Plant ID Taxonomy?

Is there a systematic list of plants that can be used for
identification? Given I know things like leaf shape, arrangement of
veins in the leaf, bark characteristics, branching, etc, is there an
interactive database that gives me suggestions of the ID plus pictures?
Old 20-07-2005, 02:20 AM
David Ross

Stubby wrote:

Is there a systematic list of plants that can be used for
identification? Given I know things like leaf shape, arrangement of
veins in the leaf, bark characteristics, branching, etc, is there an
interactive database that gives me suggestions of the ID plus pictures?

You might want to locate a copy of C. L. Porter's "Taxonomy of
Flowering Plants" (W. H. Freeman, 1967). This covers the
angiosperms, both dicots and monocots.

The classification of angiosperms is primarily based on the
structure of individual flowers with secondary consideration given
to "fruits" (broadly defined to include grains and various pods)
and the arrangement of flowers into clusters.

The goal is to classify plants according to their anscestry.
However, without a complete fossil record of anscestors,
classification depends on assuming that plants with a similar
flower structure had a more recent common anscestor than flowers
with unlike structure. Thus, two plants with 4-petal flowers are
more closely related than either is to a plant with 5-petal flowers
(when degenerate petals are included).

Only recently is plant DNA becoming involved in taxonomy.

Gymnosperms (conifers, cycads, ginkgos) are a different subject.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 20-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Stubby

David Ross wrote:
Stubby wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at it but it doesn't sound like
what I need. Frequently, I encounter a plant out in the woods and
wonder what it is. All I have to work with is the leaf. I don't know
what its seeds or blooms look like. Perhaps some university has the
database that will help.
Old 20-07-2005, 10:15 PM
raycruzer

Actually, you're in luck! There are several university based weed and
plant ID databases that cover hundreds of species and allow you to
select plant features interactively. If you look up the EWIRM database
you can find them listed by state or province. Several name or keyword
search databases are also listed on EWIRM which cover many more plant
species (thousands).

Best of luck on your plant ID quest.
_______
EWIRM: Nature makes plants, humans make weeds!

Old 20-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Stubby

raycruzer wrote:

Actually, you're in luck! There are several university based weed and
plant ID databases that cover hundreds of species and allow you to
select plant features interactively. If you look up the EWIRM database
you can find them listed by state or province. Several name or keyword
search databases are also listed on EWIRM which cover many more plant
species (thousands).

Thank you. I will check out EWIRM.

Old 21-07-2005, 02:27 AM
Doug Kanter

"Stubby" wrote in message
David Ross wrote:
Stubby wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't a book be more useful in the woods than a computer? Or....I'm old
fashioned, which is a distinct possibility.

Old 21-07-2005, 07:15 PM
raycruzer

Of course, there are several great books on weeds with beautiful
pictures that are available and very helpful, as well. There are also
several CDs with software that help you select plant features
interactively.

If you want to go hi tech, you can load a CD into your laptop and carry
it into the the woods? Also, don't forget to bring your GPS, as well,
to note the location of important species!

_______
EWIRM: Ergonica Weed Identification Reference Matrix

Old 21-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Stubby

raycruzer wrote:
Of course, there are several great books on weeds with beautiful
pictures that are available and very helpful, as well. There are also
several CDs with software that help you select plant features
interactively.

If you want to go hi tech, you can load a CD into your laptop and carry
it into the the woods? Also, don't forget to bring your GPS, as well,
to note the location of important species!

_______
EWIRM: Ergonica Weed Identification Reference Matrix

My interest is not limited to just weeds.

Whenever I'm hiking, I carry a cell phone and a GPS. But, sigh, it
doesn't help. We came across a campfire in a State forest that had not
been put out and was smoking and spreading. I called fire departments
in 3 surrounding towns before one would accept the job. I told them my
lat-long and they said something like, "Fine. But WHERE are you?"
Old 22-07-2005, 02:31 AM
mleblanca

What you need is a Field Guide, a book of a size that can be carried
with you in a small pack or some even in a large pocket.
Field guides are limited by their size as to the number of plants that
can be identified, but most can get you to a genus, and then you can
search more thouroughly at home for species.
Field guides are limited to specific regions/areas of the US and can
usually be found in the nature section of a good bookstore.
Many states have Native Plant Societies that can direct you to guides
for your state, and some publish field guides.
What state are you in; someone may be able to recommend a field guide
for your state.
( I have probably 2 dozen various guides for California: desert,
Sierra, coastal etc)

Emilie
Nor Cal

[IMG] code is On

Edible plant taxonomy Tim Tyler United Kingdom 26 06-01-2004 11:16 PM
Taxonomy of Phal violacea varieties Ted Byers Orchids 5 04-06-2003 06:44 AM
Paph vietnamense taxonomy Al Orchids 7 31-05-2003 08:44 PM
Koi/Goldfish taxonomy FAQ? J. Douglas Mercer Ponds 0 28-04-2003 07:08 AM
Taxonomy H E L P HIP n TX Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:10 AM