Old 22-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Don Phillipson

Default Hazel nuts

We have a hazel nut plant we did not know
was there . . . until it suddenly this summer
produced a several dozen embryo nuts,
only one or two per branch.

This plant has a dozen stems, seeded itself
anything up to 10 years ago, and now stands
about 2 metres high and 2 metres wide. What
can I do to encourage it to become a high-
yielding hazel nut tree ?

I forget the zone number but Ottawa, Canada,
is pretty cold for 5 months of the year.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 23-07-2005, 04:21 PM
simy1

clear the brush around it, mulch with wood chips all the way to the
dripline, and fertilize sparingly. water when it does not rain for
three weeks running. it is not a demanding plant. I suppose the site is
well drained, for it to grow this big.

Old 23-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Don Phillipson

"simy1" wrote in message
oups.com...

clear the brush around it, mulch with wood chips all the way to the
dripline, and fertilize sparingly. water when it does not rain for
three weeks running. it is not a demanding plant. I suppose the site is

Thanks for this . . .
Mulch with any sort of wood chips?
I.e. is pine/fir as good as maple/alder ?
(Watering today in 30C dry heat.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

[IMG] code is On

hazel nuts NogbadtheCool United Kingdom 8 02-01-2010 05:26 PM
Hazel Nuts Plum United Kingdom 12 18-05-2009 10:55 PM
Purple Hazel - Are the nuts edible Andrew Newton United Kingdom 1 11-09-2006 02:17 PM
Germinating Hazel nuts from seed ?? advice plz gray United Kingdom 7 20-01-2005 01:32 PM
Bare Rooted Hazel Chris Stewart United Kingdom 1 31-10-2002 11:33 PM