Old 28-12-2009, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default hazel nuts

Hi. I put 3 hazel nut plants in the garden when I moved here (rustic
Cambridgeshire) 8 years ago and am a tad peeved to have had nothing
from them. I had one scrunched up in a corner of the garden in London
which was quite prolific. Anyone know is there something I should be
doing to encourage them for this year?
Thanks
Old 28-12-2009, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

NogbadtheCool writes
Hi. I put 3 hazel nut plants in the garden when I moved here (rustic
Cambridgeshire) 8 years ago and am a tad peeved to have had nothing
from them. I had one scrunched up in a corner of the garden in London
which was quite prolific. Anyone know is there something I should be
doing to encourage them for this year?

Have you had any catkins yet?
--
Kay
Old 28-12-2009, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
NogbadtheCool wrote:
Hi. I put 3 hazel nut plants in the garden when I moved here (rustic
Cambridgeshire) 8 years ago and am a tad peeved to have had nothing
from them. I had one scrunched up in a corner of the garden in London
which was quite prolific. Anyone know is there something I should be
doing to encourage them for this year?

Are they in shade, by any chance? They won't flower if so. If not,
8 years isn't atypical.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-12-2009, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article
,
NogbadtheCool wrote:
Hi. I put 3 hazel nut plants in the garden when I moved here (rustic
Cambridgeshire) 8 years ago and am a tad peeved to have had nothing
from them. I had one scrunched up in a corner of the garden in London
which was quite prolific. Anyone know is there something I should be
doing to encourage them for this year?

Are they in shade, by any chance? They won't flower if so. If not,
8 years isn't atypical.

I have quite a big hazel, but the squirrels get to the nuts quicker than I
do.

Tina

Old 30-12-2009, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 28, 4:19*pm, wrote:
In article ,

NogbadtheCool wrote:
Hi. I put 3 hazel nut plants in the garden when I moved here (rustic
Cambridgeshire) 8 years ago and am a tad peeved to have had nothing
from them. I had one scrunched up in a corner of the garden in London
which was quite prolific. Anyone know is there something I should be
doing to encourage them for this year?

Are they in shade, by any chance? *They won't flower if so. *If not,
8 years isn't atypical.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

no, not in shade, they get quite a good burst os sun from about 11am
to dusk. Surprised to learn 8 yrs not atypical, presumably this is my
pension pot then! I think I vaguely recall catkins one year but
nothing came of them. I wondered if they need horse poo or lime or
some other exotic goody?

Old 30-12-2009, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
NogbadtheCool wrote:

no, not in shade, they get quite a good burst os sun from about 11am
to dusk. Surprised to learn 8 yrs not atypical, presumably this is my
pension pot then! I think I vaguely recall catkins one year but
nothing came of them. I wondered if they need horse poo or lime or
some other exotic goody?

They don't, though they may like lime (I don't know).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Dec 2009, 16:01, NogbadtheCool
wrote:
Hi. I put 3 hazel nut plants in the garden when I moved here (rustic
Cambridgeshire) 8 years ago and am a tad peeved to have had nothing
from them. I had one scrunched up in a corner of the garden in London
which was quite prolific. Anyone know is there something I should be
doing to encourage them for this year?
Thanks

I planted a pair of hazel trees 12yrs ago. The trees are doing fine
and look healthy. In addition I have a hazel hedge but alas, although
they flower and produce catkins I have never had a single nut from
either of them :-(
Cheers,
Compo in Caithness
Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Do not forget hazels need to be cross pollenated from a different
hazel gene pool, even thou they are suposedly self fertile, and they
are wind pollenated.

In my experience hazels can flower and produce from about 4 years.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

gray writes
Do not forget hazels need to be cross pollenated from a different
hazel gene pool, even thou they are suposedly self fertile, and they
are wind pollenated.

My contorted hazel produces nuts, but I'm not aware of another flowering
hazel certainly within a few hundred yards of this one.

--
Kay

Hazel Nuts Plum United Kingdom 12 18-05-2009 10:55 PM
Purple Hazel - Are the nuts edible Andrew Newton United Kingdom 1 11-09-2006 02:17 PM
Hazel nuts Don Phillipson Gardening 2 23-07-2005 08:11 PM
Germinating Hazel nuts from seed ?? advice plz gray United Kingdom 7 20-01-2005 01:32 PM
Bare Rooted Hazel Chris Stewart United Kingdom 1 31-10-2002 11:33 PM