Old 14-08-2005, 02:04 PM
rw

Default How Much Lime to Add?

I live in Mass and recently had my soil tested at a pH of 5.1. I had
spread lime in the Spring but apparently it wasn't enough. How much
should I add and when is the best time to apply it.

Note: I would at some point this season like to fertilize and overssed
areas of the lawn.

Old 14-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Steveo

"rw" wrote:
I live in Mass and recently had my soil tested at a pH of 5.1. I had
spread lime in the Spring but apparently it wasn't enough. How much
should I add and when is the best time to apply it.

Note: I would at some point this season like to fertilize and overssed
areas of the lawn.

50 lbs per 1000 sg ft. You can do it now.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 14-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Stubby

rw wrote:
I live in Mass and recently had my soil tested at a pH of 5.1. I had
spread lime in the Spring but apparently it wasn't enough. How much
should I add and when is the best time to apply it.

Note: I would at some point this season like to fertilize and overssed
areas of the lawn.

Did you use "Lime" from a big box store? If so, I'll bet use really
used pelletized limestone. Limestone is not very reactive -- we use it
for statues, buildings and pyramids. Try using hydrated lime from a
tile supply store. Avoid anhydrous lime as it will "burn" you and your
lawn unless done very carefully.
Old 16-08-2005, 04:44 AM
Himanshu

rw wrote:
I live in Mass and recently had my soil tested at a pH of 5.1. I had
spread lime in the Spring but apparently it wasn't enough. How much
should I add and when is the best time to apply it.

How much did you apply in Spring? Usual maximum at any one time is 50
lbs per 1,000 sq ft. My pH was similar to yours, in the 5.2 - 5.4 range
between the front and back yards. I put down about 40 lbs/1000 sq ft in
the spring and I plan to put some 50 lbs/1000 again this fall. You have
to add a good amount to have it raise it from 5.1 to say 6.

From what I understand, you have to get the lime into the soil, so for
best results either you do it when you dethatch/aerate, or you have to
work it into the soil when you amend it.

Note: I would at some point this season like to fertilize and overssed
areas of the lawn.

Lime application should help since it will raise the pH to a level good
for the grass and poorer for weeds. I overseeded the same day as I
added lime.

--
Himanshu
Old 16-08-2005, 02:45 PM

"Lime application should help since it will raise the pH to a level
good
for the grass and poorer for weeds. I overseeded the same day as I
added lime. "

Most weeds and turf grasses thrive in the same range of PH.

Old 16-08-2005, 10:33 PM
rw

I probably only added about 20 - 25 lbs per 1000 sq ft. At the time I
didn't know the pH, but based on the previous owners I knew I need to
add lime (was worried about burning the lawn).

I plan to aerate, overseed, and of course add lime in the early fall.
Good to know I can do it all on the same day/weekend.

Appreciate the response. Thanks.

Old 26-08-2005, 11:47 PM

your county extension office can tell you.