Old 31-08-2005, 11:54 AM
T. L. Pope-Green

Default Tree Roots

I think this may have been addressed before. Does anyone have any
suggestions about getting rid of tree roots in a yard. We have a maple and a
locust tree, and the roots are destroying our yard.
TIA
Tina

Old 01-09-2005, 12:57 AM
World Traveler

That's what these trees do! If you want to keep the trees you've selected
you have to put up with the way they grow. Don't fight the problem --
you've got a couple of options -- (1) Remove the trees and strip the roots
out of the ground, or (2) Accept that the roots come with the benefits of
having the tree.

In my case, I have a number of bald cypress trees in the yard, which can
create real root "problems" if you obsess over the lawn. What I did was
create a garden under the trees, with things like gingers and other
shade-compatible flowers, put a border around it, and let the flowers hide
(or complement) the visible tree roots. Where necessary, I then cut back
the cypress knees that came up outside of the garden.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:02 PM
David Raleigh Arnold

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:54:56 +0000, T. L. Pope-Green wrote:

I think this may have been addressed before. Does anyone have any
suggestions about getting rid of tree roots in a yard. We have a maple and
a locust tree, and the roots are destroying our yard.

A red or swamp maple is the most unruly tree in this part of
the world. It has no respect for drip lines at all. It will
suck the nutrients out of every part of your property, then
the property across the street. If you don't like it, cut
it down. It's a pretty tree though. You get to decide. daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique". Nothing else is close.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
willshak

On 8/31/2005 6:54 AM US(ET), T. L. Pope-Green took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

I think this may have been addressed before. Does anyone have any
suggestions about getting rid of tree roots in a yard. We have a maple and a
locust tree, and the roots are destroying our yard.
TIA
Tina

I just chop off the roots as they break the surface. Someone once told
me that you can chop the roots as long as they were the diameter of your
thumb or less. I had a post foundation dug for a sunroom 3 years ago and
we encountered root ends from a Maple that was 30' away.

--
Bill
Old 01-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Muvin Gruvin

European white birch will do the same thing to a lawn. Had one at my
other house and ended up having to cut it down. What a pity as it was
such a pretty tree.
Always learning from experience. Planted 3 Rhus Typhina (staghorn sumac)
trees....man they sucker like crazy as far as 20 feet away. The fall
color is gorgeous though and the burgundy red cones went so nicely with
my burgundy valances.
For some strange reason the 1st in line of the sumacs did not produce
one leaf this spring....ended up having to take it down as well.