Old 17-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Mbt6

Default Getting Ready for Winter - Lawn

Is it better to leave your grass long, or short going into the winter? or
does it really matter?

Old 17-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Warren

Mbt6 wrote:
Is it better to leave your grass long, or short going into the winter? or
does it really matter?

Even under snow, the grass will continue to grow. Not very fast, but it
still will grow. Get a warm, wet spell, like what's fairly common in zones
6-8, and you may even notice the growth. And you might not get a dry day to
mow it in the middle of winter.

So generally keep it shorter than normal, otherwise by the time you start
mowing in spring your mower won't go high enough to not cut more than 1/3 of
the growth. Don't scalp it. But keeping it shorter than what's best in
summer is better. (Of course, many people mow too short in the summer, so to
them the advice to them would probably be to leave it at that height, and
let it get taller next summer.)

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Your guide to Network Television's Fall Premiers:
http://www.holzemville.com/television/fall2005.html

Old 19-09-2005, 12:06 AM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:10:24 -0700, "Warren"
wrote:

Mbt6 wrote:
Is it better to leave your grass long, or short going into the winter? or
does it really matter?

Depends! Where is Winter?

Even under snow, the grass will continue to grow. Not very fast, but it
still will grow. Get a warm, wet spell, like what's fairly common in zones
6-8, and you may even notice the growth. And you might not get a dry day to
mow it in the middle of winter.

Las Vegas... (fescue) cut it long in Summer, short in Winter...I
adjust the mower wheels for the cut..seasonally.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."