Old 25-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered User

Arrow Lawn problems - expert comments req'd!

Hello.
I have moved to a house a year ago that is approx 30 years old, the lawn at the back slopes away from the house at a grade of approx 20 degrees. Large areas are in continual shade.
One such area I tilthed up this spring and spread Shady Grass seed over the area. This grew thick and strong and after a couple of cuts was doing well. Part way through the summer it started thinning out and now I have an area of thin strandy grass that doesn't appear to be growing back hard as I would expect it to.
The rest of the lawn looks pretty good on the surface, but is suffering from moss infestation underneath which I have been raking out and spreading new grass seed over. Today after closer inspection I find that great swathes of the grass come up and the grass has a very shallow root and no strength to it. I pulled a good couple of square feet up very easily to leave nothing but bare soil behind.
I have started to areate the soil in places where it may be compact and preventing good grass growth, but I would have thought the darn stuff would be growing back quicker than it is.
I am wondering if it could be leatherjackets nibbling the root system away or just the moss growing underneath the thatch of the lawn.

Any thoughs/comment would be grately appreciated!

I am happy to post links to pictures if this would be helpful.

thanks.
Old 26-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Bob

--
bru_tkd

For a question like this, you need to state where you live. Grasses
grow differently in different climates.

Bob S.

Old 26-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
For a question like this, you need to state where you live. Grasses
grow differently in different climates.
Bob S.
apologies - UK, west of London near Marlow, if that helps

Lawn Mowers *** Expert Advice tmj Lawns 6 25-07-2008 07:38 PM
REQ: Anyone know of a good online source to buy heathers from in the UK ??? descds United Kingdom 12 07-09-2005 11:38 AM
REQ info on mossy, shaded lawn klein Hansen Gardening 1 11-05-2003 06:56 AM
gardenia help req ÑòDd¥ Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
REQ : Files & Docs On Plant Iron Deficiency : Importance and Measures Monsieur Noir Plant Science 0 01-04-2003 07:56 PM