Old 22-07-2008, 07:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
tmj tmj is offline

Default Lawn Mowers *** Expert Advice

I purchased a house and am moving in 5 weeks. I have mowed many lawns in my
life, just never had to buy one. If somebody could provide me feedback on a
good lawnmower I would appreciate it. My yard isn't that big, doesn't have
any hills and will probably take 15-20 minutes. Friends of mine have
lawnmowers that around $300-$400 but also have a much bigger yard than me.
I would like to keep the price under $300 since mine will require less use
than the average mower in a season. Any suggestions on brand, essentials
to look for and cost? Since lawnmowers are season should I expect the
price to drop as we get closer to fall? Lastly, recommendations on
weedwackers?

Thanks all,
TMJ

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutgardening.com/gr...e.lawn.garden/
More information at http://www.talkaboutgardening.com/faq.html

Old 22-07-2008, 09:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

tmj wrote:
[...]

If it doesn't have any hills then a type that doesn't drive thew wheels
will probably be just fine. So that should easily get you under $300.
Ones that can mulch are great, and if the yard has lots of holes or
ruts, get one with the big wheels in back.

Weedwhackers...Unless you need pruning attachments, I'd stick with a
basic one. The Echo ones at home depot look pretty good. I prefer the
long straight shaft so your feet don't get near the string.
Old 23-07-2008, 01:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 23, 12:22*am, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article
outgardening.com,

tmj wrote:
I purchased a house and am moving in 5 weeks. I have mowed many lawns in
my

life, just never had to buy one. If somebody could provide me feedback on a

good lawnmower I would appreciate it. My yard isn't that big, doesn't have

any hills and will probably take 15-20 minutes

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10190&cat=2,2160,51170

A reel mower takes no more time than a gas or electric powered mower,
is much quieter, more fun to use, and results in a healthier lawn
because it cuts the blades (like scissors) rather than smashing and
tearing them.

Bonus: If you want to mow the lawn at 6 am on a Sunday because you're
awake anyway and can get a jump on the heat, there will be no
complaints from the neighbours.

Additional bonus: No ongoing costs of gasoline or oil, easy to
maintain, and if your kids are like mine, they'll actually enjoy using
it!

--
Woodworking links and more athttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
--------------

I'd point out that cost is not only related to how long you can expect
the product to last. It's also related to how well the product
works, how easy it is to start, use, etc. I've owned the typical
Sears mower for $300 and I've owned a $600 Honda. The quality of the
cut and the way the lawn looks after using the Honda is superior to
the Sears. I don't know if it's the deck shape or the fact that they
use a 2 blade design, or both. Now, whether it's worth it to you is
a personal choice.

On the other hand, for less $$$, with a Sears or similar you can get
more power, which may or may not be important depending on how you
intend to use it.
Old 23-07-2008, 05:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I have a self propelled Craftsman with a mulching blade. It works well
for me and I have no complaints with it.
Old 24-07-2008, 03:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Andy writes;

I have a Murray that I bought at Walmart for under $100. I bought
it
to replace the old Murray that I bought at Walmart 15 years ago for
under $100. Now in it's third year, it always starts on the first
pull.

I haven't had any problems with it. However, I keep it inside,
drain
the gas every winter, and change the oil each year. Same for
the old Murray.

In lawn mowers, you don't get what you pay for. The $800 mower
will work well. The $99 mower will also work well. The quality of
the lawn job depends a lot more on who's mowing than the type
of mower they push.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

( If you've every mowed your yard and found the wheelbarrow that
you thought had been stolen, you probly live in Eureka Texas )

Old 25-07-2008, 07:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"tmj" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
[...]

A simple, small lawn for instance, a 20" Bohlen with mulching blade and bag
is adequate. No side discharge to impede your progress.
--
Dave

Need Expert Advice Norm Ponds 0 27-07-2004 05:44 PM
novice gardener seeks expert advice Pam Morris United Kingdom 4 06-06-2003 03:44 PM
novice gardener seeks expert advice Pam Morris United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 07:20 PM
Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 1 25-02-2003 04:15 PM
Punica :Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 08:00 PM