Old 26-09-2005, 04:17 PM
W.D.

Default too late for Zoysia in Atlanta?

Have just tilled and prepped my back yard in preparation for seeding w/a
heat resistant fescue but am having second thoughts and am thinking Zoysia
might be a better choice for my climate. But I've learned that Zoysia takes
a while to establish. Can I plant Zoysia from seed now, or is it too late?
What about sod? Now that my lawn is dug up I need to plant something, and
I'd rather not go through this again next year if the fescue doesn't take.

Also, the fescue seed I plan to plant was purchased in April -- tried to
establish it in my (full sun) front yard but it didn't take. Is shelf life
going to be an issue? Thanks,

W.D.

Old 28-09-2005, 04:19 AM
Grinch

"W.D." wdanis at NO SPAM dot yahoo dot com wrote in message
Have just tilled and prepped my back yard in preparation for seeding w/a
heat resistant fescue but am having second thoughts and am thinking Zoysia
might be a better choice for my climate. But I've learned that Zoysia
takes a while to establish. Can I plant Zoysia from seed now, or is it too
late? What about sod? Now that my lawn is dug up I need to plant
something, and I'd rather not go through this again next year if the
fescue doesn't take.

Also, the fescue seed I plan to plant was purchased in April -- tried to
establish it in my (full sun) front yard but it didn't take. Is shelf life
going to be an issue? Thanks,

W.D.

My guess is that it is too late for Zoysia. You have only a month of
growing season left and that is slow growing season.

You could sod the zoysia or seed with rye...rye comes up quick, looks great
in winter and spring, and will die in summer at the perfect time to
overseed with zoysia.

Old 28-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Mike

Can one get zoysia seed over the net? I'm in NJ and there is none at the
home centers here. I have a zoysia front lawn and need to fill in some
areas.

Thanks,
Mike

k.net...

Old 28-09-2005, 04:14 PM
wkearney99

Can one get zoysia seed over the net? I'm in NJ and there is none at the
home centers here. I have a zoysia front lawn and need to fill in some
areas.

Zoysia doesn't usually grow well from seed. You're usually better of using
plugs or sod to establish a zoysia lawn. When I took out set of 12" pavers
a former owner installed for a path I used plugs pulled from other parts of
my lawn to fill the gaps. By the end of the season the turf had filled the
gaps in both the new and pulled plug holes.

Just be sure you've got enough sun for it. It really does better with at
least a few hours of direct sun during the day. If it's pmore than artially
shaded then it might not be the best turf to use. I've got a main lawn
that's all zoysia and it looks great. But the area adjacent to the curb has
too much shade so I've got a fescue there instead.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:32 PM
W.D.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Decided to go with a heat-resistant fescue for
now since my back yard has a good bit of shade depending on the time of day.
If it doesn't take I'll start over again in the Spring -- perhaps w/Zoysia.
Cheers,

W.D.

"W.D." wdanis at NO SPAM dot yahoo dot com wrote in message
Have just tilled and prepped my back yard in preparation for seeding w/a
heat resistant fescue but am having second thoughts and am thinking Zoysia
might be a better choice for my climate. But I've learned that Zoysia
takes a while to establish. Can I plant Zoysia from seed now, or is it too
late? What about sod? Now that my lawn is dug up I need to plant
something, and I'd rather not go through this again next year if the
fescue doesn't take.

Also, the fescue seed I plan to plant was purchased in April -- tried to
establish it in my (full sun) front yard but it didn't take. Is shelf life
going to be an issue? Thanks,

W.D.

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
Artemisia 'Powis Castle' - late or late? Tyra Trevellyn Gardening 0 05-05-2004 05:05 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM