Old 24-10-2005, 10:48 PM
James

Default What is "Smart Board" siding ??

After about a year of trying to deal with Heartland Sheds, I think I will
have a private storage shed contractor build me a shed. (Heartland
recently sold out, and now I have heard they went bankrupt. They did market
nice sheds).

The contractor said that instead of T-1 11 (is that it?) he would use
"Smart Board." He indicated it is sealed better at the bottom edge, and
would not wick up moisture. He said it would look virtually the same as
T-1 11 regular siding.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about "Smart Board"??

(I did Google this before I bothered this group, but I can't seem to get a
helpful site).

It is real wood, similar to regular siding, with special treatment ?? Does
it look as good as conventional siding, and last as long or longer ??

Does this product look like board and batten ??

Thanks for any comments to this green question.

--James--

Old 24-10-2005, 11:04 PM
No

Not sure about "smart board" in particular. I did a Heartland Shed, it
was cheaper than me buying the materials and doing it myself. It came
with a different sort of T-111. It was made of strands, like OSB, had
the texture of real wood embossed in the outer surface, had vertical
grooves like T-111, and came pre-primed. Thats probably what the
contractor is talking about.

Old 24-10-2005, 11:58 PM
gary

I had a hard time finding info about smartboard on the net. I am building a
house now an the price to cap the wood around windows and garage doors was
quite high, I have some fancy treatments and "keystones" that need capping
way up there. I took a drive around and found that in the higher end houses
they are trimming with smart board. I looked into it and it is basically a
LVL type board in different dimensions with a paper face glued to it that
gives it the look of wood grain. The only part I don't like about it is
that it has to be painted every 5 to 10 years. It sure looks good though.

I recently heard about a product called Azek that I am going to look into
but I don't know if it is avail in my part of the county. I saw it in Fine
Homebuilding.

http://www.azek.com/ It is a pvc board I believe so maintenance free which
I would like to have. Not sure if I can afford it... Have to look into
that. Everthing I said above is for trim though. Smartboard I believe can
be used for siding depending on the product.

Gary

Old 25-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Steven

I believe he was talking about smartside siding by Louisiana - Pacific.
I've use it on a few homes, and do like it. The installation is similar to
masonite (ughh..), but it looks a lot better and seems to be higher in
quality. My framers like it much better than hardiboard, and I like the
look of it better than hardiboard. I am sure you can google "smartside
siding" and get quite a few hits on it.

S.

Old 26-10-2005, 05:21 AM
Jim Hunter

I used Koma Board and Azek board trim on my New England Cottage Stlye home.
Both are interchangable. They are cellular plastic. Like Koma better because
it does not dent as easy as Azek. Both are excellent, no maintainence
products.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:30 AM
I R Baboon

azek trimtech whatever is the greatest thing for exterior trim. impervious
to water, maintenance free, easy to use. its basically a pvc pipe in board
form. you can use pvc pipe glueor the azek adhesive for a SOLID joint (IE
corners, keystones, etc). we have been using this for a few years now at
work and would reccomend this to anyone. cost is a little bit more, but its
worth it.