Old 03-11-2005, 07:56 PM
geezer

Default Question on Motion Detectors

Do they work 24 hours or just at night? That is, will the light sense
motion and turn the light on even at noon?

Dumb and curious.

Geezer
Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 PM
- Tom -

Motion detectors used on their own in a circuit, such as in an area
intrusion system or burglar alarm, will always work while the system is
armed.
Motion detectors used in conjunction with a day/night electric eye, of
the type used in outdoor floodlights, will work only when the electric eye
senses that the ambient light is low enough to turn on the floodlight. The
motion detector and the electric eye are in effect two switches wired in
series between the source power and the floodlight. If either switch is open
then the floodlight remains off.

Tom

Old 03-11-2005, 11:23 PM

"- Tom -" wrote in message
Motion detectors used on their own in a circuit, such as in an area
intrusion system or burglar alarm, will always work while the system is
armed.
Motion detectors used in conjunction with a day/night electric eye, of
the type used in outdoor floodlights, will work only when the electric eye
senses that the ambient light is low enough to turn on the floodlight. The
motion detector and the electric eye are in effect two switches wired in
series between the source power and the floodlight. If either switch is

open
then the floodlight remains off.

Agreed. So just bypass the electric eye and it will work 24/7 4 U.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:59 PM
geezer

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:23:07 GMT, wrote:

"- Tom -" wrote in message
Motion detectors used on their own in a circuit, such as in an area
intrusion system or burglar alarm, will always work while the system is
armed.
Motion detectors used in conjunction with a day/night electric eye, of
the type used in outdoor floodlights, will work only when the electric eye
senses that the ambient light is low enough to turn on the floodlight. The
motion detector and the electric eye are in effect two switches wired in
series between the source power and the floodlight. If either switch is

open
then the floodlight remains off.

Agreed. So just bypass the electric eye and it will work 24/7 4 U.

Thanks

My concern was that I installed one this noon and it lit the light
ONCE. Then never again. Maybe tonight after dark, I will know the
answer for sure.

Thanx agin

Geezer

Old 04-11-2005, 04:53 AM

"- Tom -" wrote in message
[...]

Test it anytime by covering the eye with dark tape.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:21 PM

geezer wrote:
My concern was that I installed one this noon and it lit the light
ONCE. Then never again. Maybe tonight after dark, I will know the
answer for sure.

Some models have an eye built in that won't allow it to work in
daylight. Time to read the box.

Cheaper ones work day or night.

Kirb

Old 05-11-2005, 07:19 AM
mm

"- Tom -" wrote in message
[...]

This is part of a burglar alarm?

I don't get this. It's a motion detector and people move even during
the day. Including burglars.

I thought it used infrared and that it measured the IR coming from a
warm body. When I had one it worked at all times.

Thanx agin

Geezer

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:08 PM

Every one that I have seen, the motion detector works regardless of
light level. Also, every one that I have seen that is used as a light
controller also have a photocell, so that for the light to go on it
must be dark and motion must be detected.

The motion lights I have used also have a slide switch that can be set
to test mode, so that you can adjust and aim the motion sensor in
daylight.