Old 06-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Alan Whitehouse

Default Lawn Tractor Won't Start

I let my lawn tractor sit for about a month without using it.

I went out to start it and it started up, but roughly. But I only let the
engine go for about 15 seconds and then I had to shut down to deal with
something else.

Now the motor won't start.

Battery is charged,

Engine cranks but won't start.

I took out the spark plug and attached it and grounded it to the engine and
I get a spark when I crank the key.

I took off the fuel line and fuel is getting to the engine.

What might be wrong? Suggestions of what to try short of a mechanic?

Alan

Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Stubby

Alan Whitehouse wrote:
I let my lawn tractor sit for about a month without using it.

I went out to start it and it started up, but roughly. But I only let the
engine go for about 15 seconds and then I had to shut down to deal with
something else.

Now the motor won't start.

Battery is charged,

Engine cranks but won't start.

I took out the spark plug and attached it and grounded it to the engine and
I get a spark when I crank the key.

I took off the fuel line and fuel is getting to the engine.

What might be wrong? Suggestions of what to try short of a mechanic?

Try some "Starting Fluid" from an auto store.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:01 AM
Bg

Old gas, plugged fuel filter, plugged jet in carb.....

Try draining ALL the gas from the fuel tank and the carb. Refill with fresh
gas....try again.
If that doesn't work, it's likely a plugged jet in the carb due to old gummy
fuel.
Just my 2-cents

Old 06-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Borg hater

"Stubby" wrote in message
Alan Whitehouse wrote:
I let my lawn tractor sit for about a month without using it.

I went out to start it and it started up, but roughly. But I only let
the engine go for about 15 seconds and then I had to shut down to deal
with something else.

Now the motor won't start.

Battery is charged,

Engine cranks but won't start.

I took out the spark plug and attached it and grounded it to the engine
and I get a spark when I crank the key.

I took off the fuel line and fuel is getting to the engine.

What might be wrong? Suggestions of what to try short of a mechanic?

Try some "Starting Fluid" from an auto store.

Agreed. Probably bad gas, possibly water intrusion. Engine was on its
choke cycle, and is probably flooded as well with gunk.

--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg

Old 06-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Joe Canuck

Stubby wrote:

Alan Whitehouse wrote:

I let my lawn tractor sit for about a month without using it.

I went out to start it and it started up, but roughly. But I only let
the engine go for about 15 seconds and then I had to shut down to deal
with something else.

Now the motor won't start.

Battery is charged,

Engine cranks but won't start.

I took out the spark plug and attached it and grounded it to the
engine and I get a spark when I crank the key.

I took off the fuel line and fuel is getting to the engine.

What might be wrong? Suggestions of what to try short of a mechanic?

Try some "Starting Fluid" from an auto store.

Starter fluid is for charcoal BBQ's!

Argh!

Old 07-11-2005, 01:41 PM
willshak

On 11/5/2005 7:04 PM US(ET), Alan Whitehouse took fingers to keyboard,
and typed the following:

I let my lawn tractor sit for about a month without using it.

I went out to start it and it started up, but roughly. But I only let the
engine go for about 15 seconds and then I had to shut down to deal with
something else.

Now the motor won't start.

Battery is charged,

Engine cranks but won't start.

I took out the spark plug and attached it and grounded it to the engine and
I get a spark when I crank the key.

I took off the fuel line and fuel is getting to the engine.

What might be wrong? Suggestions of what to try short of a mechanic?

Alan

Been there, done that, just this month as a matter of fact. I left it
out in the rain and water got into the tank through the gas cap, which
was missing the plastic lens cover over the dial. Pulled the fuel line
off the tank and drained the gas. Pulled the fuel line off the carb and
blew through it to remove the water from the line. Put it all back
together and started it up with starting fluid assist. It ran rough for
a short period and then smoothed out.

--
Bill
Old 09-11-2005, 03:43 PM
UNIVERSAL MIND

clean and gap the plug

put fresh gas in it

put a charger on the battery so it will spin fast

when it fires, hold it wide open and try to clear it out- you just may
have a flooded cylinder condition

it would not hurt to remove the plug, put the plug wire away down to
the side, and crank it over and clear the cylinder, and start over