Old 21-01-2006, 04:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JD

Default crabgrass preventer & seeding

I live in SE Virginia and have a mild coastal climate. I didn't seed my
lawn until early Nov last year. Although it has been pretty warm & wet this
winter, it was too late for the lawn to really get established.
Traditionally I have put down crabgrass preventer /fertilizer this time of
year, however I am concerned that it will prevent any unsprouted seeds from
emerging. What does the group think?
Thanks
JD in Norfolk VA

Old 21-01-2006, 06:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom J

"JD" wrote in message
I live in SE Virginia and have a mild coastal climate. I didn't seed
my lawn until early Nov last year. Although it has been pretty warm
& wet this winter, it was too late for the lawn to really get
established. Traditionally I have put down crabgrass preventer
/fertilizer this time of year, however I am concerned that it will
prevent any unsprouted seeds from emerging. What does the group
think?
Thanks
JD in Norfolk VA

Any seed that didn't turn into grass by now has rotted, so if it was
me, I'd do the traditional!

Tom J
who hates crabgrass

Old 22-01-2006, 01:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tom J
Any seed that didn't turn into grass by now has rotted, so if it was
me, I'd do the traditional! "

If crabgrass seed has all rotted by now, where do you think the plants
come from that are going to germinate this Spring? Immaculate
conception?

Old 22-01-2006, 06:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom J

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Tom J

Because of you lack of retentiom of what the original post said:
************* Quote from original post
I live in SE Virginia and have a mild coastal climate. I didn't seed
my
lawn until early Nov last year. Although it has been pretty warm &
wet this
winter, it was too late for the lawn to really get established.
Traditionally I have put down crabgrass preventer /fertilizer this
time of
year, however I am concerned that it will prevent any unsprouted seeds
from
emerging
I was replying to him waiting for those GRASS seed to germinate. Some
seed stay viable for decades, but not lawn grass seed he put out in
November. Try it, put some lawn grass seed on a test plot now and see
if you ever see anything but weeds. On the other hand, put down some
cocklebur seed and they will be with you at least 10 years! You'll
never keep out crab grass because all your neighbors allow it to seed
and blow everywhere in the winds and it's seed stay viable over
winter.

Tom J