Old 08-03-2006, 09:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
john

Default Lush moss...Help !!!problem

I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick moss
problem that has probably been unattended to for years. When I look at it
there is very sparse grass and thick moss. In fact, right now in the north
east it is starting to thaw. i can lift the moss up in sheets, maybe 3 and
four feet square in size. Underneath, left behind is nothing but the soil. I
was going to hit the moss with a moss killer but now i wonder , with such
little grass left behind, if I am better off just lifting all the moss and
planting new grass in the spring. On the fringes there is more grass than
moss and it kind of clings to the ground, so I was thinking of hitting that
area with the moss killer. What do you guys think I should do?? All
recommendations will be considered

Thanks

John W

Old 08-03-2006, 10:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"john" wrote in message
I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick moss
problem that has probably been unattended to for years. When I look at it
there is very sparse grass and thick moss......

Just curious, why do you not like moss?
Curious Tomes

Old 09-03-2006, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Anthony Aversano

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:52:36 -0500, "john" wrote:

I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick moss
problem that has probably been unattended to for years. When I look at it
there is very sparse grass and thick moss. In fact, right now in the north
east it is starting to thaw. i can lift the moss up in sheets, maybe 3 and
four feet square in size. Underneath, left behind is nothing but the soil. I
was going to hit the moss with a moss killer but now i wonder , with such
little grass left behind, if I am better off just lifting all the moss and
planting new grass in the spring. On the fringes there is more grass than
moss and it kind of clings to the ground, so I was thinking of hitting that
area with the moss killer. What do you guys think I should do?? All
recommendations will be considered

Have you ever thought of going a different direction? Maybe come up with a
planting scheme that uses the moss as a base/background instead of going with
grass. There are a lot of interesting woodland type planting schemes that might
look fantastic there. If you do decide to take the moss out, and it comes out in
such convenient sheets, do you have any rock work on your lot? Moss and rocks
tend to look rather nice, in fact some people pay quite a bit of money that
install moss covered rocks in their landscapes.

Tony
Old 09-03-2006, 03:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
norman

"john" wrote in message
I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick moss
problem that has probably been unattended to for years. When I look at it
there is very sparse grass and thick moss. In fact, right now in the north
east it is starting to thaw. i can lift the moss up in sheets, maybe 3 and
four feet square in size. Underneath, left behind is nothing but the soil.

was going to hit the moss with a moss killer but now i wonder , with such
little grass left behind, if I am better off just lifting all the moss and
planting new grass in the spring. On the fringes there is more grass than
moss and it kind of clings to the ground, so I was thinking of hitting

that
area with the moss killer. What do you guys think I should do?? All
recommendations will be considered.

Since everyone else is 'tap-dancing' around your original question, I'll
give it a shot.

If the grass is that far gone under the moss, it sounds like you have little
choice but to replace it.

I'd remove all the moss/grass, till, level, and lay new sod. Done.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"norman" wrote in message
"john" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah I tap danced because I see this a lot. I have moss, how can I get rid
of this evil thing.... I truly wish to know why the moss is considered to
be such a bad thing? We have places in our property that have moss. We use
that. We like that. It grew there because for that micro climate it is
nature's decision that it is the best thing in that spot.

Yep, other folks don't want it and I just wish to know the other side of the
thought process. Not an argument, just quite curious.
Tomes

Old 09-03-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
norman

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"john" wrote in message
[...]

Like everything in this world, it's preference. It sounded like John did not
like moss in his grass.

We have places in our property that have moss. We use
that. We like that. It grew there because for that micro climate it is
nature's decision that it is the best thing in that spot.

Agreed. I've got a few spots on my North side where the moss loves to take
over.

Yep, other folks don't want it and I just wish to know the other side of

the
thought process. Not an argument, just quite curious.

If we were all the same it would be a boring world :-)

Old 09-03-2006, 03:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"john" wrote:
I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick
moss problem

Does it face north?
Old 09-03-2006, 05:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"norman" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"john" wrote:
I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick
moss problem

Does it face north?

What if he's an 'Aussie'?

They are north free down under?

Old 09-03-2006, 05:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Tomes" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"norman" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"john" wrote:
I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a
thick moss problem

Does it face north?

What if he's an 'Aussie'?

They are north free down under?

The effects of 'our' North are Southbound there....

So I'd have to turn my compass upside down? Which side of the tree does the
moss grow on in down those parts?

Old 09-03-2006, 05:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"norman" wrote in message

If we were all the same it would be a boring world :-)

Could not agree with you more.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"john" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like you are better off stripping back and regrassing rather than
trying to rehabilitate the existing grass. Ensure you take all the moss off
however. You may be better to extend the area you prepare for re grassing to
take in the fringe areas of moss/grass. If the moss is persistent do you
need to consider soil drainage or access to light? Do you need to lay down a
sandy soil to improve drainage or cut back foliage to allow more light in?

I have had problems with moss in various areas of the garden. I have tried
resowing but found the moss returned as, like snother poster said, it was
what grew best there. I have converted those areas to raised gardens or
paths a I was never going to solve sufficiently to my satisfaction the moss
problem.

rob

Old 09-03-2006, 01:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

George.com wrote:
"john" wrote in message
[...]

The advice above is good. The other thing you need to do is adjust the
pH of your soil to make it above 7. Moss (and mushrooms) does not like
sweet soil. Use real lime rather than pelletized limeSTONE. You can
get lime from places that sell tile. Get the hydrated type because
anhydrous lime will pull the water out of anything it touches, including
YOU! NB: Limestone is crushed seashells and it not very basic;
consequently, it will take many, many years to have any effect.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Tomes" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"norman" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"john" wrote:
I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a
thick moss problem

Does it face north?

What if he's an 'Aussie'?

They are north free down under?

The effects of 'our' North are Southbound there....

So I'd have to turn my compass upside down? Which side of the tree does
the
moss grow on in down those parts?

No, you just have to think standing on your head ) Everything you think
of as being related to north is transferred to being related to south in the
southern hemisphere. Winter is in our summer too.

.... and I expect that the moss grows on the south side there too grin.
Tomes

Lush Mooss Raymond Platt Lawns 0 11-03-2006 07:39 PM
Prepare now for a lush, green, and fragrant spring Earl@Greenwood Gardening 0 05-01-2006 06:50 PM
Smart watering keeps mature trees lush and healthy all summer - LandSteward Article Earl@Greenwood Gardening 0 21-06-2005 04:03 AM
Lush lawns begin with autumn action now! earl Lawns 0 21-10-2004 05:29 PM
Lush lawns begin with autumn action now! earl Gardening 0 21-10-2004 05:17 PM