Old 24-03-2006, 12:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Robert11

Default Grass Seed: How Long Good For, And Storage Conditions Question ?

Hello:

Just noticed a bag of Scotts grass seed that I guess I had in my garage
(unheated)
for two winters now, that I had forgotten about.

Under the house garage, but still getys pretty cold in
there; live outside of Boston.

Think the seed would still be good if I used it this spring ?

Irrespective of the above, how long do seeds stay rerasonably potent ?
Better if stored cold, cool, or warm ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 24-03-2006, 05:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tony Miklos

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Just noticed a bag of Scotts grass seed that I guess I had in my garage
(unheated)
for two winters now, that I had forgotten about.

Under the house garage, but still getys pretty cold in
there; live outside of Boston.

Think the seed would still be good if I used it this spring ?

Put 20 or so on a wet, folded paper towel, then fold again to cover the
seed. Keep it damp and room temp and see how many sprout in the time
frame it gives for germination on the package.

Old 24-03-2006, 11:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

Just noticed a bag of Scotts grass seed that I guess I had in my garage
(unheated)
for two winters now, that I had forgotten about.

Under the house garage, but still getys pretty cold in
there; live outside of Boston.

Think the seed would still be good if I used it this spring ?

Irrespective of the above, how long do seeds stay rerasonably potent ?
Better if stored cold, cool, or warm ?

Thanks,
Bob

Rule of thumb is two years shelf life, you can still use it after that but
the germination may fall off a bit as it gets older.
Old 24-03-2006, 11:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Just noticed a bag of Scotts grass seed that I guess I had in my garage
(unheated)
for two winters now, that I had forgotten about.

Under the house garage, but still getys pretty cold in
there; live outside of Boston.

Think the seed would still be good if I used it this spring ?

Irrespective of the above, how long do seeds stay rerasonably potent ?
Better if stored cold, cool, or warm ?

Thanks,
Bob

My answer is the same as it was when you asked the question on
rec.home.repair. ;-) Use the seed at a higher than normal application
rate. Watch for germination. If it doesn't germinate well, buy new seed.

Seed doesn't store well.

It stores best in cool, dry conditions.

Old 26-03-2006, 03:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Just noticed a bag of Scotts grass seed that I guess I had in my garage
(unheated)
for two winters now, that I had forgotten about.

Under the house garage, but still getys pretty cold in
there; live outside of Boston.

Think the seed would still be good if I used it this spring ?

Irrespective of the above, how long do seeds stay rerasonably potent ?
Better if stored cold, cool, or warm ?

Thanks,
Bob

My answer is the same as it was when you asked the question on
rec.home.repair. ;-) Use the seed at a higher than normal application
rate. Watch for germination. If it doesn't germinate well, buy new seed.

Seed doesn't store well.

It stores best in cool, dry conditions.

Yes, cool and dry are key. The typical garage is not a good place. I
keep mine in a covered plastic garbage can in the basement. Inside I
place one of the damp/dry dessicant canisters.

Another important factor is that many of the quality grass seeds are
now endophyte enhanced. The endophyte has a shelf life of about 6
months, after which it goes south fast. So, the seed will still
germinate, but you lose the endophyte benefit.

Old 28-03-2006, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
www.StockSeed.com

I agree with Tony on finding out germination rate. Then, you can do
some simple math to find out how much more to seed with.