Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-04-2006, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
O.B. Juan

Default Need help with my horrible lawn

My lawn looks like crap. I see three problems--weeds, ant hills and bare
spots. So I want to kill the weeds and the ants, and get grass to grow in
the bare spots. I don't really need a perfect looking dark green lawn, but
no weeds and good grass coverage would be nice.

Some of the bare areas are beneath a few large oak trees. I've heard that
it's really tough to get grass to grow under trees, so I'm either taking the
trees out or just put up a border and mulch around the trees.

Another problem (I think)--two different kinds of grass in my yard. The
prior owner planted zoysia on the side of the house, which gets a lot of
sun. The rest of the lawn (sun and shade exposure) is (I'm guessing) some
kind of rye/fescue blend. Do I need to treat the zoysia differently as far
as fertilizing, weed killer, etc.?

In what order should I work on the lawn? Weed killer now, then ants, then
wait 'till fall to put seed down? I'm in the Philadelphia, PA area.

My horrible lawn Boosha Lawns 1 06-05-2007 08:49 AM
to Heidi the Horrible raizn4kids Lawns 0 09-04-2005 03:53 AM
Horrible string algae Sean Dinh Ponds 11 20-03-2004 03:48 AM
I am a horrible person- no water, etc. Kevin Orchids 2 03-12-2003 06:02 PM
Please ID this horrible plant CNB Lawns 2 17-05-2003 01:20 PM