Old 17-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Sean Dinh

Default Horrible string algae

Green water is easy to remove with Potash. String is harder. I tried using pot
scrubber last week. I got no where. I'm waiting for the plants to start, to remove
them string.

Cin1754 wrote:

I have just turned my pumps and UV filter back on about 2 weeks ago. The water
already looks clean, but what to do about all the string algae. Most of it is
attached to upper level rocks, not much on the bottom. Any good brushes to
use. Help
Cindy

Old 18-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Hal

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:39:12 -0800, Sean Dinh
wrote:

Green water is easy to remove with Potash.

Potash is simply the third ingredient in fertilizer (plant food) and
the other two aren't as readily used without the third. Adding
potash to a pond with (N)nitrates and (P)phosphates without (K)potash
will allow the plants to absorb the nitrates and phosphates and
enhance plant growth.

Regards,

Hal

Old 18-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Pond Newbie

Try a toilet brush. (Not a used one, preferably...lol). I bought one of those ones with
the bristles all the way around, like half a ball, just to use in the pond. I think I got
it for between two and three bucks at Wal-Mart, and it came with a corner 'holder'. Then
you dip it in the pond, and swirl it like you were going to make cotton candy. It easily
collects the string algae this way. I tapped mine out on the rocks to clean it, and pulled
most of the algae out later, when it dried out some.

The lady I get my pond supplies from, Shari, of Shari's Petal and Ponds, (see her link on
my pond webpage) taught me this trick. I had a serious string algae problem and this
really did the trick!

Good luck, it is some messy stuff.

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

Old 18-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Gary

When algae season hits, I just bite the bullet for a while, since I
can't ever seem to totally erradicate it. I twirl it up into a ball
on a piece of lath like green spaghetti and haul it out by the bucket
loads! After the other plants cover the surface of the pond, the
algae problem subsides, since it thrives on sunlight.
If anyone knows of a good algae remedy that #1 -won't hurt my goldfish
or other plants, and #2 -won't make my pond look like a swimming pool,
please post!
Good luck,
Gary
Old 18-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Roger Grady

I take a 3 ft. piece of 1/4" or 3/8" wood dowel, chuck it in my
cordless drill and wind the algae up with that. When I get a
fist-sized ball, I strip it off and start over.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Old 18-03-2004, 11:49 AM
broomhilda

I have excellent luck re all kinds of algae with barley straw. I put the
barley straw in a hamster ball with a thin rope attached to pull it out
with.

It takes a month or so to get working but after that the algae is gone.

I buy the straw for about $3.00 a bale at the farm store. Places that deal
with pond supplies charge outrageous prices.

Old 20-03-2004, 03:48 AM
Just Me \Koi\

It's a 3 part process
Part 1. Stir in some patience
Part 2. Some Algaefix from Petco. It works really well! Be prepared to
clean up the dislodged algae though!
Part 3. Use the new toilet brush idea in the other posts! It works!

Send my case of Original Guinness Stout to:
Just Me Koi
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca 91701

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: